Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Lines showing up on Replastered Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

White Lines showing up on Replastered Pool

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this before. I am going to try and upload some pictures of my pool.
    My pool is Gunite, I just had it Professionally re-plastered end of March 3 1/2 months ago with
    Blue Plaster & Blue Quartz Crystals.
    I brushed the pool two to three times a day for almost 3 weeks, gradually dropping to once a day. Chemical levels have been fine. Weather here in Arizona is hot in the high 90's to 100+ the last month or so Today was 115 F.
    Ph Normal
    Chlorine normal
    Alkalinity normal

The pool looked beautiful when it was first completed, but now these marks are coming through. It looks like the trowel marks that were made during the application. I'm waiting for the contractor to come look at it, 2nd week now. Without seeing the pool they insist the plaster is fine and that its salt causing the problem. They say because its a new pool this happens to the plaster. Am I being given a line or does this sound familiar to anyone. Thanks for any feedback, sorry about the long post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12.5K Gal, IG Gunite/Plaster, 1hp Sta-Rite Pump, Hayard 4820 DE Filter~96GPM, Hayward Deluxe Pool Vac, Paramont 6 Port Pop-ups. Pool Built 1997, Re-plastered Late March 2013, Arizona Very Hot to Hot Weather most of the year.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White Lines showing up on Replastered Pool

Please post a full set of test results including CH.

What sort of startup procedure did your PB use following the replaster job?
    Did your PB manage the startup, or did you?

What is your CL source, is it an SWCG? Or no?

Edit: Can you please post a higher res photo if possible? You'll have to use an image hosting service and insert the image url using the advance/full editor here on TFP. I presume these are steps in the photo?
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

3. Back To Top    #3

The PB did the start up and I helped with doing more brushing. It is not a salt water, I guess I posted this in the wrong forum. Yes these are the steps. I don't know what the actual readings are, the PB said everything was normal. He said he's never seen anything like this before. I'm not very computer savvy, don't know if I can post a better resolution, I'll try. Is there a way for me to change the forum I posted this in?
    12.5K Gal, IG Gunite/Plaster, 1hp Sta-Rite Pump, Hayard 4820 DE Filter~96GPM, Hayward Deluxe Pool Vac, Paramont 6 Port Pop-ups. Pool Built 1997, Re-plastered Late March 2013, Arizona Very Hot to Hot Weather most of the year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Not sure how to make a URL. Here is another picture of the bottom of the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Try this for help with posting pictures.
    how-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-full-guide-with-screenshots-t45050.html

As for the water chemistry, do you not have your own test kit?
    See my sig for the info on our recommended test kits. TFP is all about knowing what's in your water ad what you put in it. As well as educating yourself by way of pool school and this forum's members as to understanding how it all works. Having a good test kit, not relying on others to test it for you, which is more often than not... unreliable, is where it all begins.

I can't tell from the low res image, but my 1st thought was that it looks like calcium scaling. But I'm really just guessing as It's too low definition to tell, too fuzzy.

Your water contains calcium, depending on where you live as to how much. The plaster has to have it in the water and the right amount or it can damage the finish. Not knowing what that is, nor your pH and TA levels is risky business to your pool's plaster health and longevity.

Hang in there, we'll help you through it.

Edit: The mods will move your thread to a different forum/topic if they deem fit. No worries!
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank You, I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy that large test kit that I once read about on this website. I think it was around 60.00 to 80.00. When I first signed onto this web site, I read a lot of the information in the pool school, but I got a bit lost. After spending the money to fix my plaster in the pool, I think I'm going to try again to familiarize myself with what needs to be done. I will try and pick up a kit in the next few days and get some chemical numbers posted. thanks again for replying. Maybe I should read up on how to make a URL first, LOL.

7. Back To Top    #7

The TF test kit will allow you to manage you pool better. Especially your calcium values that are so critical to a plastered pool.

Buying the $68 test kit will save more in one month than you will spend on one trip to the local pool store for "free testing".
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank You, I will work that into my budget and get one as soon as possible. You are right, I don't know if my pb is reliable or not. I would feel better if I knew the numbers myself.

9. Back To Top    #9

When you know your numbers... you are in control and you can solve your water issues in minutes

... not add 63 pounds of this; come back next week when you have a green pond and a bag of money.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm going to go to Leslie's tomorrow to get my water tested and I'll start searching the internet for testing kits. I'm sure Leslie's is to high priced especially where I live here in AZ. Not many places to choose from. I'm turning in for the night. Thanks again for your help.
    Jeri

11. Back To Top    #11

Just don't buy any of their magic potions. Tell them you have to check with your spouse, dad, uncle, whatever 1st. Or you forgot your check book, or just plain "No, I have to think about it".

Very important for pH and TA.
    Take the sample in a clean opaque container and fill it to the brim so no sloshing can occur. Hydrogen peroxide bottles are great for this. Also, keep it protected from any appreciable temperature changes and from direct sunlight. Lastly, take a large sample and don't let them dump out the extra. Make them test it at least 2x!! Or, take in 2 containers and imply they are from 2 different pools by saying they are 2 different samples. That way they have to test it 2x. HAHA

This will get you an avg of their highly varied results.

Make sure to pull your sample opposite a return and from arms length down, about a foot.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by PoolHappy
    I'm going to go to Leslie's tomorrow to get my water tested and I'll start searching the internet for testing kits. I'm sure Leslie's is to high priced especially where I live here in AZ. Not many places to choose from. I'm turning in for the night. Thanks again for your help.
    Jeri
    The TF100 is your best value online. The bottles in the TF kits are larger than the ones in the Taylor/Leslie kit and they come in a more convenient box. There is a comparison chart in the PoolSchool
    -- Guy --

13. Back To Top    #13

True that techguy, well said!

14. Back To Top    #14

PoolHappy, try to feel and determine if there are any texture and smoothness differences between the whiter areas and the darker blue areas.

15. Back To Top    #15

Thank you all whom are helping me with this issue in my pool. Yesterday I went to get my water tested while I wait for a test kit to arrive in the mail. I took in 2 samples as suggested to pool store and surprisingly they came out pretty darn close. Here are average results. FC-6, TC-6, CYA-99, TA-90, PH-7.6, TDS-1800, Pho-2500. Of coarse they tried to sell me a product to reduce the phosphates but it would have cost me 64.00. I didn't bite, I wanted to run this by you all first. The pool finish is smooth, no texture to it at all. I decided to check another pool store in town and with another sample I got these numbers FC-3, PH-7.8, TA-150, TDS 1800, I questioned the Phosphates, and evidently our city adds phosphates to our water supply for lubrication in the pipes so he said it will be high. So with all this information, what to do. The second store suggested adding a gallon of acid at night with the pump off and test again in the morning. Should lower Alkalinity but does that solve the issue of the white lines? With that, I am now asking what you all think?

16. Back To Top    #16

I wouldn't add anything with the pump off. Besides a TA of 90 isn't very high.
    Don't worry about the phosphates either.
    Wait until your test kit arrives so we'll have good numbers to work with.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

What about the calcium hardness result? Surely they tested that too.

18. Back To Top    #18

Unfortunately they didn't. Ihave the print out of what they did, unless its called something other than CH or Calcium Hardness. I forgot to ask them to, even though that was the main thing I wanted tested. Guess I'm making another trip out today with more water.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by PoolHappy
    I questioned the Phosphates, and evidently our city adds phosphates to our water supply for lubrication in the pipes so he said it will be high. So with all this information, what to do. The second store suggested adding a gallon of acid at night with the pump off and test again in the morning.
    WHAAAATTTTTTTTTT??? Something tells me It's their snake oil lubricating the pool owner's pipes so the money flows easier! WWWWOOOOWWWW!
    That's a new one!

Don't do anything at this point. See how much those tests varied from store to store?
    Oh, they want you to ruin your pool plaster too, huh? EPIC!
    acid-column-myth-t1089.html

These are the reasons pool store baaad, very baaad! mkay?

20. Back To Top    #20

Hello all,

I finally received my Test Kit in the mail. I opted for the TF-100 Kit did my first testing. Here are the numbers. I ran the tests 2 times to make sure I came up with the same numbers.
    FC-3, TC-3, CYA-90, TA-100, PH-7.8, Pho > 1000.
    and here's what was missing CH 700
    Now the question is what do I do?
    Thanks for any input.
    Jeri

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast