Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting Massive Rainfall as I type

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting Massive Rainfall as I type

Well My pool looks like it has risen 4-6 inches and it's still pouring like cats and dogs. It looks like it will be raining pretty heavily for the next week too. I have never managed a pool through floods like this. What should I expect to fix it. I am assuming I just need to do the FC/PH and CC tests. Adjust FC and PH to proper levels and if I have CC I should SLAM, Is that right?
    13x30ft, 13,100 Gal, Pentair Nautilus DE filter with water fountain and water transmission floor cleaning system
    BBB Method
    Aquabot 4WD Breeze

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting Massive Rainfall as I type

Yikes, that is a lot of rain! I assume it's an inground pool? If so, your biggest risk is runoff taking junk into the pool. The rain itself isn't really a big deal. With that much rain I'd test a little more often, but otherwise it's status quo if/until you find something wrong with the tests.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh yeah the run off from the roof valley was like a waterfall. I couldn't tell if I was getting run off in the pool. But it almost came inside the house, the patio was flooded and it reached about 18 inches from the back door. The flagstone patio slopes away from the house and away from the pool into a little drain strip.
    13x30ft, 13,100 Gal, Pentair Nautilus DE filter with water fountain and water transmission floor cleaning system
    BBB Method
    Aquabot 4WD Breeze

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

What should I expect to fix it.
    Of course, manage your water level so the pool doesn't overflow. Other than that, run a complete set of test when the rain stops.....you may have to adjust very little if the surface water did not flow into your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Well All looks good I ended up with 3 FC and .5 CC. PH jumped a little to 7.8. Everything else stayed pretty good.
    BBB Method
    Aquabot 4WD Breeze

6. Back To Top    #6

I would bump up the FC a bit just to be on the safe side. Sometimes rain can cause FC to be used up... and any organic debris that may have made it's way there will be consuming that FC.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Aye I'm shooting for 8 FC instead of 6. I want to be at the top of the scale rather then in the middle. It wasn't to hard to maintain but I guess that's attributable to the simplicity of BBB. Although I tried to adjust my ph to 7.5 and I overshot now I'm at 7.2.
    BBB Method
    Aquabot 4WD Breeze

8. Back To Top    #8

Sounds like my house yesterday, pool increased in depth by 5" in about 30mins. Its drained alittle from the overflow by this morning, but that was a lot of water.

Last night FC dropped little more than normal could be the increase in water, sunlight, and whatever falls in our Arizona Monsoons. Ph stayed the same for me too. All I did last night after it all settled was cleaned out the leaves, dirt, and bumped FC back up. Pool looked pristine this morning, like nothing happened except it being full to the brim.
    15000 gallon in ground pool.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    Duel Speed Pump with Sand Filter.
    TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Where I live in PA we have had rain each day for weeks. Sometimes inches at a time. I am AGP this go round so I didn't have to worry about run-off, just overflow. Have released water more times than I can count. Only thing that went cattywhompus on me was the stabilizer. Have added it twice and if I could get the sun I need I might need to bump it again, haven't had the right day to test where I feel my results are as accurate as I like. I am keeping the bleach boosted just a hair ~ again because of the rain and we're getting some debris from the wind so I have also been vigilant about removing it.

Neighbor had their garden was out, could have water-skied on the golf course across the road and my veggie plants drowned ~ it's been a funky season that's for sure.

Test frequently to stay on top of things and good luck
    AGP: 27' x 52" : 17,500 gallon
    300 lb. Sand Filter (75 gpm) / 1.5 hp pump
    Full Sun ~ All Day

10. Back To Top    #10

Aye I'm glad it never got to the coping. Stayed to the top of the tile line then held. We've been get daily showers though nothing like the first night. The heat had been 100+ each day so I've had quite a bit of evaporation too.
    BBB Method
    Aquabot 4WD Breeze