Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help understanding my pool plumbing

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help understanding my pool plumbing

I am very confused about the pool plumbing and was hoping someone can help me figure it out. I am attaching four pictures showing the layout.

The first picture called Big Picture.jpg has on the right which I called "Pool Equipment Area 1" the filter pump, de filter and polaris pump and all of this equipment is below the in ground pool. The left side which I called "Pool Equipment Area 2" used to have a chlorinator which was disconnected by the previous owners but am not sure what the valves do and what they control.

The second and third picture respectively called "Pool Equipment Area 1a.jpg" and "Pool Equipment Area 1b.jpg" show a more detailed picture of the equipment in Pool Equipment Area 1.

The fourth picture called "Pool Equipment Area 2.jpg" shows a more detailed picture of the equipment in Pool Equipment Area 2 which are the valves and where the chlorinator used to sit. All of this equipment is the same level as the pool.

What I am trying to figure out is how Pool Equipment Area 2 is plumbed?

Does this plumbing go to Pool Equipment Area 1 or back to the pool?

How can I figure out where it goes to the pool? (Side returns or floor returns) I have three floor returns in the pool. I do not think they work because I do not feel anything coming out of them but I do feel something coming out of all the side returns.

Any help on trying to figure out how to diagnose the problem would be great. I have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how this is all laid out.

Thanks
    -Dimitry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    28000 gallon outdoor in-ground Plaster Pool; 3/4 HP PB4-60 Polaris Pump; Magnetek Century Centurion 2 HP Filter Pump; Pentair FNS Plus 60sq ft DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help understanding my pool plumbing

I realized I cannot only ad 3 pictures so here is the fourth.

Thanks
    -Dimitry
    28000 gallon outdoor in-ground Plaster Pool; 3/4 HP PB4-60 Polaris Pump; Magnetek Century Centurion 2 HP Filter Pump; Pentair FNS Plus 60sq ft DE Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a spa? The rusty brown thing in you last picture is a air blower.

Can you post a picture looking down at area two?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

So you didn't get it figured out from your last thread about your equipment. The valve on the discharge of the filter which is set to about 80/20 in the picture 1a. What does it do if you switch it from one side to the other?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool does have a spa with picture attached below. I did figure out after a couple of days that the rusty brown thing was an air blower. When I get home tonight, I will post a picture looking down at area 2.

The valve in picture 1a controls whether the water goes to the pool or spa so I did figure that out. The valve in picture 1b I know also controls whether the intake comes from the pool or spa. The three way valve in picture 2 is what is puzzling me. When I turn it one way or another, it does not seem to do anything. I thought maybe it was my floor returns in the pool but I did not feel any water pressure coming from the floor returns. When I turn the valve to any position other than the way you see it, water begins to leak out of the side of the valve as if there was a pressure release valve inside it. Any other tests I can try to diagnose where it goes?

Thanks
    -Dimitry

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there a grease cap on the side of that 3-way valve. If so you may need to replace the o-ring in it. If there's not, maybe there should be.

Have you tried running the blower with the valve in different positions?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

What is a grease cap?

Here is a picture looking down at area 2.

Thanks
    -Dimitry

8. Back To Top    #8

The black knob on the valve is a grease cap.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I can't tell if there's one on the 3-way but since both 2-way's have one my bet would be that the 3-way is supposed to also.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

So the pool guy came today and we figured out that the plumbing from picture 1a (pool side where polaris pump sits) goes to picture 2 where chlorinator used to be. It then splits between floor returns and wall returns on the pool. The question then becomes is it better to have the water return through the floor returns or wall returns or have the valve at 50/50?

Thanks
    -Dimitry

11. Back To Top    #11

It really depends on which works best for your pool. I would play with the valve in different positions and see what works best to keep the pool circulated and clean.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator