Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA testing, frequency and cost

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA testing, frequency and cost

From what I can gather the CYA test is costly and has a margin of error. How often does one test your CYA compared to FC and PH? How many CYA tests in a TF100 test kit?
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA testing, frequency and cost

The tf-100 can do about 16 tests. I test my cya at the beginning of the season, one to two more times to check I have reached my target, then at most 2 more times during the season if I am worried.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't know about anyone else, but I only test my CYA if I've added more than 4" of water to my pool, or had to drain 3-4" from rain.

Since I have the K-2006, I don't know how many tests you can do with yours.

Duraleigh sells the reagent in an 8 oz size, better price than I've seen anywhere else.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In addition to testing, you can estimate your levels based on past readings and what you have added. Fresh water added to replace evaporated water won't change the level of CYA. Fresh water added to replace water lost to backwashing, leaks, splashout etc. will lower the CYA level.

Adding Cyanuric acid, trichlor tabs and/or dichlor powder will raise your CYA. The pool calculator will tell you how much the CYA is increased based on how much you add and your pool size.

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, you can buy the R-0013 in 16 ounce bottles for under $15 shipped. It is said that R-0013 lasts for a very long time.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

6. Back To Top    #6

Where can you get R13 for $15 shipped? At TF it is like $17 plus shipping
    10000 Gal, IG Pebbletec, pop up cleaners,Hayward EcoStar VS, 425 sq ft Hayward Cartridge, waterfall feature

7. Back To Top    #7

Amazon. Usually Amato has it, but I didn't see it on their website.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

8. Back To Top    #8

For the $2, get it from TF. It's worth his help for the extra $2.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

If you do a lot of testing its avail in larger containers at a discounted price, but for normal use I would buy from our local forum supporter.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I bought mine at Amato:

1 x R-0013-E Taylor Cyanuric Solution (pint) #13 (309) = $6.86

Test CYA about once a month.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB