Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete pool construction Ft Wayne IN

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete pool construction Ft Wayne IN

Hello all
    After the last year or so of planning we finally started construction of our pool! Rough specs are 22x40 freeform "peanut" with a rectangle, 9ft deep end, large-ish shallow end, auto cover, diving board, 24ft slide. A few LED bubblers on the shallow end and we need to decide now if we want a few Laminar LED jets. First time we have ever had a pool. We are in for a big learning curve sure this forum will be of much help!
    CAT 315 can move a lot of material!

Before

Excavation all done

From the slide area

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete pool construction Ft Wayne IN

Looks like a nice start!

Welcome to the forums!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

I love your dig. I've been doing a lot of reading about diving pools because we want one. The slope in yours seems really steep for one. Maybe someone else can chime in. The theory I've been told is that a more gradual (longer slope) makes it safer for diving. Perhaps it's just the angle of the photo making it appear steeper and further into the deep end.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

4. Back To Top    #4

It does look steep, but I have never been in an empty pool before! It is cut a little steep but the strings show where the bottom will actually be.
    This pic you can get a better idea of the slope.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's pretty steep, and I am sorry to rain on your parade if I did. I've asked three builders now why they would have such a long slope for my 8-9 deep end in a 36' pool and all have told me diver and child safety. The theory is that with too steep a slope too far into the deep end there is high risk of a diver hitting the face of that slope. The other reason they give me is for little ones slipping off to the deep end too easily. This point is less of a concern for me as our crowd is older now, but the diving issue did make sense to me. The longer slope eats up a lot of shallow end, but they insist it must be done for safety. I really am sorry to ring alarm bells on you, especially if I am listening to bad advice, but the angle just caught my attention. I am trying to get a dive pool within minimum length which builders say is anywhere between 32-36 ft. One told me they will not do less than 36 period. I know there are folks here that know construction, and hopefully they will chime in.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

When mine was built they said the max slope allowed was 12" in 36".
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is the number Ive been quoted consistently. 1 in 3.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

My builder said they like 4:1, and the pool is 40ft. Its difficult to tell how it will actually slope from the excavation.

9. Back To Top    #9

The strings help to see the angles. Now that it's been brought up, I can see the concern... mostly for children who might slide down the slope.

I don't know what I would do if I had the opportunity to build an inground. Looks as though you have a more gradual slope and you eat up much of the shallow end.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you walk up that slope without help? Anything much greater than 1 in 3 is hard to walk up and therefore is likely to cause issues for people that venture over the break. To be safe, I'd keep it at 1:3.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes I can but the excavation is steeper than what the actual slope will be. I put those strings up to get an idea for myself once some members said it looked steep. I will make sure to discuss further with the builder. I have confidence in them everyone I talked to before we signed said they are the best in this area.
    Thanks you guys for bringing it up may not have double checked myself. Like I said we have a lot to learn when it comes to pools!

12. Back To Top    #12

Good deal, and I am learning something new every day, particularly about construction.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

13. Back To Top    #13

Was out of town for a few days so much happened. Double checked with the PB and confirmed the slope will be 3:1 although they like to go a little more it is what it is. Decided on 2 of the LED laminars that will be placed opposite of each other on the narrow part. The two stubs you see in the shallow end are LED bubblers. Concrete will be poured Monday, really excited!
    From the breezeway

From the slide area

Ended up being more like 22x42

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Great pool! Keep those pics coming!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School