Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loud filter sound

1. Back To Top    #1

Loud filter sound

Greetings to all,
    My filter produces a very loud sound at high speed.
    The pressure is 5 psi @ low speed and 20 psi @ high speed.
    Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGgW-BW ... e=youtu.be
    There no loose parts inside of the filter housing.
    Maybe there is the water jet from the filter inlet that hits pleats and they vibrate?
    Any ideas? Solutions?
    Thank you very much,
    13.5K gal, above-ground oval, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 150 sq ft cartridge filter, Baquacil.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loud filter sound

My pump/filter get louder when they need to be cleaned. Air can make noise. Impeller cavitation can also be very loud.

I would say that noise is something buzzing due to loose belly band. Have you tried relieving pressure and tightening up the band?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Techguy,

I have cleaned the filter today. The pressure still 5 psi @ low and 18 psi @ high speed. Motor speeds are 3450/1725 rpm.
    I purged the air a couple times and checked the belly band clamp - it is tight.
    I have also turned the cartridge over.
    After I have turned the pump on, it was working OK with normal noise. After several minutes it changed the sound to a loud one. So, it does not produce the loud noise all the time!

Any thoughts?

Best regards
    13.5K gal, above-ground oval, 1.5 HP Waterway pump, 150 sq ft cartridge filter, Baquacil.

4. Back To Top    #4

Try setting the whole filter assembly on a board with a door mat to act as an insulator to see it that makes a difference. It looks like you have the pump setting on pea gravel and that could be shifting under the body and creating the noise.

What happens when you hold onto the handle or press down on the filter body? Does the noise change?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you Techguy for your time.
    I'll do this in few days, then I'll let you know.
    I am waiting for new cartridge.
    So I'll do all at the same time.
    Best regards

6. Back To Top    #6

Techguy,
    I have forgotten about your last question.
    I pushed filter down, tried to lift it, moved it to the left/right - nothing changed the noise.
    This time the loud noise came up 15 minutes after I switched the pump to high speed.
    Thanks again