Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this stuff?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this stuff?

So, I discovered a tear in one DE grid that over several days created a layer of cloud-like dust. I replaced the entire grid set yesterday, brushed the pool into an opaque cloudy water, ran pump overnight, and backwashed this a.m. Tonight, I have much less of the stuff, but it's still heavy. The picture shows the top step brushed clean, but the other two are covered with the stuff. Is this a type of floating algae, or just leftovers from the leaking grid? My pH is a bit high, TC a bit low, but other chems reasonably within line. Also, my SWG is dead and I'm waiting for new equipment to arrive. Doing chlorine as best I can. You can see green algae on the rock top-most step is much better than 4 days ago. What is the recommendation for the dust on the bottom? Brush, brush, brush, filter, filter filter, backwash, backwash, backwash?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30,000 gal salt with spa; built 2006; Jandy 2 hp single speed Stealth; 48 sf Pentair DE filter; Pentair 4 wheel cleaner; Jandy 1400 SWG and 1400PLC salt cell. New filter grids, cleaner pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this stuff?

Probably all the stuff the filter filtered out. What you had was the aquatic equivalent of taking the bag out of the vacuum cleaner and scattering it all over the house.

I'd break out the manual pool vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I don't have a manual vaccuum. Am I overworking the DE filter by relying on it to get everything out?
    30,000 gal salt with spa; built 2006; Jandy 2 hp single speed Stealth; 48 sf Pentair DE filter; Pentair 4 wheel cleaner; Jandy 1400 SWG and 1400PLC salt cell. New filter grids, cleaner pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Scubaguy2
    I don't have a manual vaccuum. Am I overworking the DE filter by relying on it to get everything out?
    No. It's designed to filter stuff. The pressure gauge will tell you when it's had enough and it's time to backwash.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!