Algae or to much chemicals?

Eric

Jun 9, 2008
OK like many posters I have seen on here today I am at my wits end with this pool. Since gas is so high we thought it would be better to purchase a pool for home so the kids would be entertained and we would not have to drive as much.....Theory has failed I could have driven for months and not spent as much as I now have on this pool.

As funds are tight at my house we opted for the Wal-Mart 15' X 4" (5,000gl ml). I then proceeded to fill the pool and it went to an instant algae bloom.

Since that time I have purchased almost every chemical at Wal-Mart (HTH products) primarily vinyl and plaster shock (54% I think). I have also had my water tested twice at a pool store which sold me more products each time.

About the Pool:
I purchase the pool on May25th. May 26th I had full algae bloom.
15’ X 4” sun and swim (I think) above ground vinyl pool with type “A” cartridge filter. It also has a basket skimmer that hangs on the side.

My last two tests have shown my FC at 10 and my CYA at 10 on June 2nd and 7 on June 5th.

I am using a small HTH tester that I had OTO to and it becomes a red color. So I think my FC is still very high. I have continued to use the shock daily. I have attempted to vacuum (small sweeper with water hose attached and hose draining out of pool) since June 5th. I did miss June 8th.

The pools appearance has remained the same for over a week. Very cloudy can not see past 2nd step and that visibility is poor. It looks like a gray green color I guess not swampy or just plain green. I do not see or feel any slim or algae on the sides or the bottom. However, the filter is just filthy each time I change it. (twice a day) It has a brown nasty appearance.

I clearly can see that I need a better tester but I really can not spend 50+ dollars on something else. If I can not get this cleared up I need to drain it.

Please help can I fix this with BBB? Is the algae gone and this is just too much chemicals? I am at a loss and very disappointed in this little ordeal.

The most important thing to understand is that your pool's filter and pump are undersized. Run them whenever you aren't in the pool to get the most you can out of them.

I'd suggest you stop using all powdered chemicals except CYA unless there is no liquid option. Some are very slow to dissolve, and they can cause problems with your undersized filter. Bleach for chlorination and shock, and muriatic acid if the pH needs to be lowered.

Granted someone much smarter will respond soon enough... However, if you are still slightly green and/or cloudy the algae is most likely still there.

Try to use the pool calculator and find out how much bleach to put in. I was in the same predicament with my pool and these folks have really helped me out. I have learned that light green does not mean dead - it means alive!!! And the best method is the shock the heck out of it. Bleach worked best for me.

JohnT said:
The most important thing to understand is that your pool's filter and pump are undersized. Run them whenever you aren't in the pool to get the most you can out of them.

I'd suggest you stop using all powdered chemicals except CYA unless there is no liquid option. Some are very slow to dissolve, and they can cause problems with your undersized filter. Bleach for chlorination and shock, and muriatic acid if the pH needs to be lowered.

First thanks for responding it is nice to just be able to ask questions about this... say is there a support group or something???? No really? :) I have not really turned the filter off for over 1 1/2 weeks (electric bill :cry: ). I thought maybe the filter was undersized. :( A upgrade is more than the pool was. Looks like I need to raise my CYA correct? I purchased 4 gal. of 6% bleach today.

Could it be my filter is just not getting the dead algae out fast enough?

branchop said:
I have learned that light green does not mean dead - it means alive!!! And the best method is the shock the heck out of it. Bleach worked best for me.

I have purchased two gallons of bleach and you are correct I can see a hint of green in the hose from the skimmer to the filter.

Yes, your filter cannot keep up with the dead algea clogging it. Are you cleaning it off frequently? You will need to do that all the while you are shocking.

POP pool owner patience and this forum is one GIANT support group :)

Well that's good. Yes, if your CYA is still 10 you need to raise it. Your best bet would be to put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return, if possible.

Is there anyway you can get to a local pool store, with a water sample? They will test your water for free. YOu don't (and shouldn't, yet) have to buy anything from them.

If we know how many gallons your pool is, and what your CYA is, we can tell you how much bleach to add.

But numbers, not colors would be better. We all have different tests that reveal different colors at times so numbers would really be helpful.

I know it's frustrating, hang in there, we'll do our very best to help you sort this out.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Well that's good. Yes, if your CYA is still 10 you need to raise it. Your best bet would be to put it in a sock and hang it in front of the return, if possible.

Is there anyway you can get to a local pool store, with a water sample? They will test your water for free. YOu don't (and shouldn't, yet) have to buy anything from them.

If we know how many gallons your pool is, and what your CYA is, we can tell you how much bleach to add.

But numbers, not colors would be better. We all have different tests that reveal different colors at times so numbers would really be helpful.

I know it's frustrating, hang in there, we'll do our very best to help you sort this out.

Here is what the pool store told me. My last two tests have shown my FC at 10 and my CYA at 10 on June 2nd and 7 on June 5th. My PH is 7.2

I continue to read some other posts I figured I would add some more details.

I have used algaecide or alageguard (I think this was HTH)
Copper Killer
PH Minus
Alkalinity boost
Clarifier
Chlorine 3" disc's
Vinyl shock

Again pool is not really green green it is just hovering around gray greenish and of course very cloudy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Eric said:
I continue to read some other posts I figured I would add some more details.

Both AlgaeGuard 30 and 60 are linear quats. They foam! (and they don't work that well)...don't waste your money on this stuff you don't need it!

Copper Killer
Not Familiar with this one but I suspect it's a metal sequesterant.

PH Minus
Dry Acid--muriatic acid is cheaper and more effective.

Alkalinity boost
This is nothing more than very expen$ive baking soda!

Clarifier
Don't waste your money on it...One, it's not really needed. Two, it will gunk up your undersized filter too fast!
Chlorine 3" disc's
Ok to use these until your CYA gets to about 50 ppm then stop. It will happen a lot sooner than you think.. Use bleach after that. You will actually spend less on chemicals once you swithch to bleach!

Vinyl shock
47% cal hypo. Bleach is cheaper and won't cloud your pool! Shock is a verb, not a noun. It's something you do to a pool (raise the free chlorine high enough to kill algae or destroy combined chlorine). It's not a special product you put in.!

Again pool is not really green green it is just hovering around gray greenish and of course very cloudy.
Without good test results you are just guessing and will waste a lot of money on unnecessary chems. That money is better spent on a good test kit. It will save you a LOT in the long run!

Okay.

I reread your posts. Your pool store tests are 2 days old now.

You are using a drop test and compare it to the chart it turns a shade of red. I found a similar sounding Taylor test, which shows a Red comparison chart (mine is yellow). So "red" does mean that your chlorine is present. Assuming that your CYA really is 10 then you DO have enough chlorine in there to kill the algea.

If tomorrow you still have chlorine readings, and they show the same level of "red", it may just be that your filter is just inadquate...and it will take time to clear. Keep running the filter constantly, not much other choice if upgrading isn't an option for you.

Sorry, I wish I had more promising advice. Hang in there....

I would think with the adapter also sold, you could upgrade to this pump....

http://www.amazon.com/INTEX-MODEL-POOL- ... 48&sr=1-12

If your pump is the A type, does your packaging say how many gallons per hour it filters? I was reading about Intex and there are several types, from 800 all the way up to 2,500. for your pool an upgrade may be a better choice. IF you have the 800, even this 1,500 would almost double your circulation. Anyway, it's just a thought.

When you said upgrading cost more than the pool you had me curious...

Hope your not too discouraged at this point....

Titanium said:
Eric,

Copper Killer
PH Minus
Alkalinity boost
Clarifier
Chlorine 3" disc's
Vinyl shock

How much did you spend on this stuff? I bet more than what a good test kit would have cost. :shock:

Titanium
Yes you are correct. I humbly admit my hind sight is 20/20

frustratedpoolmom said:
I would think with the adapter also sold, you could upgrade to this pump....

http://www.amazon.com/INTEX-MODEL-POOL- ... 48&sr=1-12

If your pump is the A type, does your packaging say how many gallons per hour it filters? I was reading about Intex and there are several types, from 800 all the way up to 2,500. for your pool an upgrade may be a better choice. IF you have the 800, even this 1,500 would almost double your circulation. Anyway, it's just a thought.

When you said upgrading cost more than the pool you had me curious...

Hope your not too discouraged at this point....

I made the mistake at looking at filter pumps at the pool store they were several hundred bucks. These look more resonable. I have a 637R but it does not say how many gallons it moves in an hour.

Eric

I went out tonight put in a new filter. Swept the pool and added 96L of bleach. Water really looks gray green. I can see the 3rd step but cloudy. Chlorine is still well over 5. Strip test says 10. OTO is plus 5 as gauge does not go high enough.

PH is up to 7.5 it looks like. And TA is 100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.