Low DE filter pressure when using automatic pool cleaner

Jul 15, 2013
Hi all,

I'm a recently new pool owner and I'm having an issue with the pressure in my DE filter. When I have the water coming through the skimmer my DE filter pressure is great. However, when I have the automatic pool cleaner running the pressure drops considerably and the automatic pool cleaner at the bottom of my pool runs slow. I've also noticed the return water doesn't seem to be flowing as high as it normally should. I should note that the pressure when using my automatic pool cleaner has been great, but has deteriorated over the last few days.

I've taken apart the DE filter, given it a good cleaning, purged the air, added DE, cleaned the motor's propeller, sealed the strainer lid, etc. However, I'm stumped why my pressure would be good one one setting, but not the other. Hopefully the lingo I've used is correct and painted a clear picture. Thank you for the help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Since the pressure is so different depending on the suction source, then the issue must be in the pool cleaner line and not in the filter.
Does the cleaner attach in the skimmer or a different wall suction line?

So you have valves that determine whether suction is from the skimmer or the wall?
Have you tried running the pump with the suction from the wall without the cleaner attached? Wondering if you would have good pressure and flow without the cleaner. If so, that would point to a clog in the cleaner. If not, that would point to a problem between the wall and the valves.

Pressure drops because you've increased the resistance in the suction line. You have a suction side cleaner, right?

When I use my manual vacuum, the return flow drops dramatically and filter pressure goes down a few psi. When I'm done and everything is back to normal, so is the pressure and the return flow.

It's a suction side cleaner.

I checked on the psi last night and noticed the pool cleaner was running just fine -- around 10psi (sas at 5 psi before). I'm not quite sure why it would run better, but it appears the issue has been solved for now. I appreciate the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.