Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Low DE filter pressure when using automatic pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Low DE filter pressure when using automatic pool cleaner

Hi all,

I'm a recently new pool owner and I'm having an issue with the pressure in my DE filter. When I have the water coming through the skimmer my DE filter pressure is great. However, when I have the automatic pool cleaner running the pressure drops considerably and the automatic pool cleaner at the bottom of my pool runs slow. I've also noticed the return water doesn't seem to be flowing as high as it normally should. I should note that the pressure when using my automatic pool cleaner has been great, but has deteriorated over the last few days.

I've taken apart the DE filter, given it a good cleaning, purged the air, added DE, cleaned the motor's propeller, sealed the strainer lid, etc. However, I'm stumped why my pressure would be good one one setting, but not the other. Hopefully the lingo I've used is correct and painted a clear picture. Thank you for the help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Low DE filter pressure when using automatic pool cleaner

Welcome to TFP!!!

Since the pressure is so different depending on the suction source, then the issue must be in the pool cleaner line and not in the filter.
    Does the cleaner attach in the skimmer or a different wall suction line?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The cleaner attaches in the wall line. What would explain why the pressure would be good sometimes but low other times?

4. Back To Top    #4

So you have valves that determine whether suction is from the skimmer or the wall?
    Have you tried running the pump with the suction from the wall without the cleaner attached? Wondering if you would have good pressure and flow without the cleaner. If so, that would point to a clog in the cleaner. If not, that would point to a problem between the wall and the valves.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Pressure drops because you've increased the resistance in the suction line. You have a suction side cleaner, right?

When I use my manual vacuum, the return flow drops dramatically and filter pressure goes down a few psi. When I'm done and everything is back to normal, so is the pressure and the return flow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Is this a pressure side or suction side cleaner? It appears to be a suction side cleaner but just want to make sure.

Have you checked the impeller to see if there's a partial clog in it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

It's a suction side cleaner.

I checked on the psi last night and noticed the pool cleaner was running just fine -- around 10psi (sas at 5 psi before). I'm not quite sure why it would run better, but it appears the issue has been solved for now. I appreciate the help.