New member, green and toxic pool

Jun 19, 2013
I've neglected my pool but have also lost faith in local pool stores and services. My 16k fiberglass pool was great two months ago, then we had a heat wave that seemed to prompt an algae bloom. Told to add ten or more gallons chlorine did not curb the algae. Adding cyanuric as recommended did nothing. Ph appears a little high. Acid demand says add 3 qt. muriatic. Most other tests register very low PPM. I"m spooked. In such a situation, which characteristic do I try to cure first? Ph, Calcium Hardness, total chlorine? Thanks for any help.

Welcome! Go to 'Pool School' and learn how to SLAM your pool. It's the big blue button on the upper right corner. Then, buy the TF-100 test kit that most of us use here at TFP. You'll be on your way to a sparkly pool in no time. But to answer your main question, Chlorine Chlorine Chlorine.

Welcome to TFP. Many of us have been down the same road. Everyone here will help you get control of your pool. In case you care, because of this website, I haven't been to the pool store since july of 2009!

And richard,
I enjoyed these links down memory lane.