Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member, green and toxic pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New member, green and toxic pool

I've neglected my pool but have also lost faith in local pool stores and services. My 16k fiberglass pool was great two months ago, then we had a heat wave that seemed to prompt an algae bloom. Told to add ten or more gallons chlorine did not curb the algae. Adding cyanuric as recommended did nothing. Ph appears a little high. Acid demand says add 3 qt. muriatic. Most other tests register very low PPM. I"m spooked. In such a situation, which characteristic do I try to cure first? Ph, Calcium Hardness, total chlorine? Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member, green and toxic pool

Welcome! Go to 'Pool School' and learn how to SLAM your pool. It's the big blue button on the upper right corner. Then, buy the TF-100 test kit that most of us use here at TFP. You'll be on your way to a sparkly pool in no time. But to answer your main question, Chlorine Chlorine Chlorine.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

3. Back To Top    #3
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP. Many of us have been down the same road. Everyone here will help you get control of your pool. In case you care, because of this website, I haven't been to the pool store since july of 2009!

And richard,
    I enjoyed these links down memory lane.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

Post us up a set of test numbers. Specifically your CYA. You may be in need of water replacement to help you along.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!