Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A few questions on skimmers, lights, etc.

1. Back To Top    #1
    Grant Park, Illinois

A few questions on skimmers, lights, etc.

We are getting ready to order skimmers, returns, main drain, and lights. I have a few questions about these items.

First of all, we were planning on doing 2 skimmer with 3 returns. Our pool will be 25x50 and a depth of 3.5-10ft. Do you think 2 skimmers are enough or should we go 3 with 4 returns?

Also, I've looked at skimmers and didn't realize I had choices. Our pool is built out of concrete block, but will have a vinyl liner. I should buy the vinyl liner skimmers right? I see that each type has a few different kinds. Are there really better skimmers and not so great skimmers? If so, what do you recommend?

I haven't look at jets yet, but are there brands or types that are better than others?

I'm lost on which lights to buy. I know we want led and color changing. I was thinking we would need 2. We will be placing them on the long wall, house side so they face away from the house. I didn't know if we should have 3 with our dimensions?

I appreciate any help!
    Stephanie and Jerry
    DIY concrete block 25 x 50 vinyl pool, now hired out to finish, build in progress, cover star auto cover, 3 laminar deck jets, Inter Fab G force slide
    My Build~~~

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: A few questions on skimmers, lights, etc.

I would suggest 3 skimmers and four returns. That's a big, big pool and you need a lot of even distribution of your pool water. I have 42k with two skimmers and 3 returns and sorta' wish I had done one more of each

Get gunite skimmers, I think. Have you decided how you are going to mount them to the pool? I built mine pretty much into the structure of the pool and I don't think vinyl liner skimmers are designed to do that....but I can't remember for sure.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Central MD

Re: A few questions on skimmers, lights, etc.

I would definitely recommend three lights if going with color changing LED's. You could also skew them just slightly towards the deep end by maybe a foot. The deep end eats more light.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013