Pool chlorinator suddenly not working error reads high salt

Jul 15, 2013
Hi we have a new Intex pool 24 x 12 with sand filter Model no. 15220 and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model no. CS8220.

We added the recommended amount of salt and followed all the manufacturers instructions, the pool ran perfectly for about a month but for the past couple of weeks the warning light comes on saying high salt, and we cannot get it to generate chlorine. If my husband runs a hose with fresh water into the inlet it will work but this is not really solving the problem. We have the pool under cover in a polytunnel as the weather is not good for outdoor swimming in UK!! the only difference from when we started running the system is that the water temperature has risen by about 10 degrees- and the tunnel gets very hot during the day would this change the salt reading on the system? the salt test strips are proving to be elusive in UK and the postage from USA is very high so I would be grateful for any suggestions before spending three times the purchase price for postage on these - one site quotes .$33!!!! for an item costing $18.99 I cannot find another thread on this problem and apologise if I am doubling up.

Thanks for looking

Claire

Re: Pool chlorinator suddenly not working error reads high s

Welcome to TFP.

Have you cleaned the swg cell?
Do you have a pool store locally that could test the salt for you?
The amount of heat shouldn't affect the salt concentration but it will make the conductivity greater and if you're at the top of the range for he swg it could push the reading over the top and cause the swg to go into shutdown.

If all else fails you could try draining some water and replacing it.
Do you have a water softener that you use water from to refill the pool?

Re: Pool chlorinator suddenly not working error reads high s

Thanks will try this- the air temperature has gone from 18c to 30c this week so quite a difference

We are in a soft water area and never need to clean kettles or washing machines so did not add any water softener to the pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.