Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skin itches after I've been in the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Skin itches after I've been in the pool

Split from post544307.html#p544307 Butterfly

I too ITCH TERRIBLY!!! after swimming in our pool. I take a shower immediately after swimming - but it still doesn't help. I put lotion on and it helps a little but omg it drives me crazy - mostly on my legs and a little on my arms. I do have sensitive skin - and am wondering if that salt method helped the previous poster? We have a fiberglass inground pool. I grew up with an above-ground liner pool and never had a problem with itching until we installed the fiberglass pool last summer. My husband does not itch afterward nor does my oldest son - but my younger son - who always has sensitive skin itches. So I'm thinking it's just our sensitive skin. We have had a problem keeping our chlorine levels regulated - it sometimes gets a little too high - I don't know what to do - I'm so miserable afterwards that it makes me want to not go swimming

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Skin itches after I've been in the pool

Welcome to tfp, MicheleD

For us to be most helpful, we need a full set of test results. See:

With that said, often low (or sometimes high) ph or high CC (combined chlorine not be confused with chlorine) is the culprit when skin is irritated. See this pool school article for definitions:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Fairfax, VA

Re: Skin itches after I've been in the pool

Hi MicheleD,

When I purchased my home 2 years ago, I didn't know about TFP and BBB. I didn't test my water and assumed clear water was good water. I developed very irritated and dry skin and a secondary infection. It turns out my PH was very, very low and it burned my senstive skin, ouch! I now have a good test kit and maintain proper pool chemistry. Now my skin isn't irritated even after swimming all day.
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig Heater 336K BTU, TF-100 test kit.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain