Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuuming/Sand Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuuming/Sand Filter

I have noticed that sometimes when I vacuum my pool, the returns seem to pump in cloudy/debris in water. Only happens when I pump the pool. Is this bad for my pool? How do eliminate this problem?
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuuming/Sand Filter

It likely is not bad for you pool, but will affect the water clarity. It may be that the stuff is bypassing the filter due to a bad spider gasket in the multiport valve...do you have a multiport valve? If you do, I would pull the valve and inspect the spider gasket and the sand for clumping.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

When was the filter last cleaned? Maybe the sand is channeled:

my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no idea when the sand filter was last cleaned, I bought the house in 2011 and havent cleaned it since. I definitely do have a multiport valve. I am wondering if I should just wait until I close the pool down to look into these issues. Everything else seems to be working fine so I dont want to mess that up. But if this could create future issues then i'd like to get that taken care of. Any other thoughts regarding why this might happen or if it is bad for my pool?
    I have a 35,000 gallon, sand filter, sunken above ground (so inground), vinyl liner, with an Aqua rite turbo cell SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Is your mupltiport connected to the plumbing with unions? If it is, then it is fairly easy to do, and I would do it now. If not...then I would probably wait, since it would involve redoing some of the plumbing. If you want, snap a picture and post it here.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.