Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP PLEASE! Still Cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Howard City, MI

HELP PLEASE! Still Cloudy

Please Help! No matter what I do, can't seem to clear up cloudiness. Still very cloudy and small amounts of yellowish-orangish "dust" on bottom (assuming pollen since it passed OCLT).

Levels this a.m. were FC= 6 and pH=7.6. Tested TA and CYA few days ago and results were the following: TA= 150 and CYA= 45.

I have been cleaning filter EVERY day and running pump. Been covering at night as well.

After testing FC, I have been using pool calculator and raising FC to 10 to try to get rid of issue. Not helping though and I don't know what else to do. Please Help!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Above-Ground Pro Series 18'x48" Metal Frame - Approx 6,450 gallons
    Skimmer Filter System (cartridge): SFS1000 w/ F1500C Pump: 120watts/2.0amps/1500g.p.h
    Purchased & Installed: 6/7/12 (week of)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: HELP PLEASE! Still Cloudy

You need to finish the SLAM process. Read the article in pool school. Bring FC up to 16 and hold it there, test and redose every hour if necessary. Run the pump 24/7. Continue doing this, constantly, until you pass an OCLT, CC is .5 or less, and the water is crystal clear.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Yup. Sounds like you are not following the SLAM process correctly. [slam:v6zm8zb3][/slam:v6zm8zb3]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Fairfax, VA

In addition to what has already been written:

Putting a pool cover on at night will only help with heat loss and will will not help with clearing your pool (unless you leave it on during the day). If the pool cover has any dirt or algae, you are introducing new organics nightly. Pool covers are notorious algae/organic harborers.

If you want to use a pool cover, I suggest:
    1. Make sure that any algae/dirt is removed from the pool cover. This may mean scrubbing the cover and hosing it down. Then, putting on the pool that is at shock level so that the pool's chlorine will kill what is left. This scrubbing/hosing down process may need to be repeated daily until it is completely sanitized.
    2. Leave the cover on 24/7 until the pool is clean. This will protect the chlorine from the sun and help sanitize the cover.
    3. Store the cover so that it doesn't a) touch the ground and b) drain off the water so organics don't grow while it is off the pool.
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig Heater 336K BTU, TF-100 test kit.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain