Cleaning the strainer

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
I have the Krystal Klear 635T on my 16x48 Ultra Frame (see other thread "Frustration"), and while my wife and I are trying to decide what to do and what we can afford with filters, I'm trying to squeak out every bit of efficiency out of that pump. One of the things I liked about the EasySet we had last year was a removable cover on the strainer. This pool doesn't have one, and it looks like the only way I can clean the strainer (the intake that goes TO the pump in the pool) is to remove it - which seems like a bad idea since it is 15" below the surface of the water.

Any suggestions/solutions that you guys have?

The "fastest" way to do this is to plug something into the skimmer base and plug the skimmer's exit. Did your pool come with little black plugs? They look like little "doll hats" with big brims. These can be plugged in the wall hose fitting

31BUTn3XP3L._SX342_.jpg

I can plug my vacuum hose into the base of the skimmer outlet.

another way to do this is to remove the hose from the pump inlet and the hold or tie the hose end above the surface of the water. This will trap the water in the hose and pool. You may have some water that flows back through the filter and pump from the return, so you may need to do the same to that side.

What i do for my pool if I really need to work on the filter for a while, is use a hose coupling and couple together the two hoses from the pump inlet and filter outlet. I have a coupling and two hose clamps to do this.

My old easyset pool had those, but I think I tossed 'em when I tossed the pool. But that does give me an idea.

I guess pretty much anything that will fit over the hole, pressure will hold it in place. The way the strainer is built, it's one piece that fits through the hole in the liner. The hose screws directly onto the back of the strainer. So I pretty much need to cover the hole. I'm sure I can find an old coffee can lid or something large and flat to fit over it.

Thanks for the idea!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.