Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot get my CYA level to increase

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot get my CYA level to increase

I have added CYA twice now. A few weeks ago I added 40 ounces and a week later it tested around 20, probably under that. I added another 32 ounces about a week and a half ago and I can still see the black dot, granted it's really really light gray. We have had quite a few rain showers during all this time. Could this affect it? All my other levels look pretty good.

CC- changes daily I have to add bleach every day
    FC- .5 or lower
    pH- 7.8
    TA- 90
    CYA- low low low

Could I have something growing in my pool eating my CYA? I'm at a loss. When it's not raining it's been very sunny and humid. My pool is in direct sunlight all day and the water temp is usually 86-88 degrees.
    21ft round Doughboy AG, 9,300 gallons
    22 inch ClearWater Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward Power Flo Matrix Pump
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cannot get my CYA level to increase

How does the water look?
    Are you maintaing higher FC values than you indicated?
    So, what are your CCs? Are they greater than 0.5ppm?
    The the CYA is getting broken down, that is usually indicated by high CC values.

With 4.5 pounds of CYA added, it should be reading up around 50ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What was the percentage of CYA listed on the ingredient list?
    We've had reports of some 50% stuff, and if that's the case you'd be just about right with 25 ppm so it'd be cloudy right at the top.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The water is crystal clear.
    FC is always .5, it barely turns pink, 1 drop brings it back to clear
    CC will go from 3 to 0 in 24 hrs. I know, I should be shooting for alot higher when adding it. I have to get more bleach.
    The CYA is 99%
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hopefully, you got some half strength CYA and that is the cause of your situation. Do you happen to have an auto-fill on your pool though? Sometimes, the presence of an auto-fill can mask a leak that is causing your CYA to drop.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you have your chlorines backwards. You raise your FC (free chlorine) with bleach, and you always want CC (combined chlorine) to be less than .5. FC is what you test for first, then you do the CC test.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, sorry. I'm at work right now and secretly posting, lol. I did reverse my FC and CC.

What is auto-fill? I don't believe I have that.
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

An auto fill is a device that keeps the water level the same automatically. I don't think they make any for above ground pools, but I could be wrong.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

I guess I will just wait a few more days to test CYA again. It did take about 4 days to dissolve so maybe my reading will change.
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I hope Richard (ChemGeek) chimes in after this comment because he would definately know the answer to this but........ I have been told (and mind you have not confirmed this), that if your pH is too high when you test your CYA level, that you can get a low CYA reading. The reason for this is that if your water is too basic (high ph), the Cyanaric acid comes "out of solution" so you don't get an accurate reading. Now, this doesn't mean you have "chunks" of solid CYA floating around in your pool. Just microscopic solids that aren't reading on your test. Get your pH lower (more acidic) into the proper range and your Cyanauric Acid will go "back into solution"

Richard, if your are reading, please comment.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

11. Back To Top    #11

Makes sense, I will wait to see if Richard comments. I was planning on adding a little muriatic acid to lower my pH some. Thanks!
    Install 6/16/13
    TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I have been told (and mind you have not confirmed this), that if your pH is too high when you test your CYA level, that you can get a low CYA reading. The reason for this is that if your water is too basic (high ph), the Cyanaric acid comes "out of solution" so you don't get an accurate reading. Now, this doesn't mean you have "chunks" of solid CYA floating around in your pool. Just microscopic solids that aren't reading on your test. Get your pH lower (more acidic) into the proper range and your Cyanauric Acid will go "back into solution"
    Incorrect. pH has little to do with the CYA test.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Dave's right. The pH does not affect the CYA test. There is an acid buffer in the CYA reagent that forces the pH down to force full precipitation of melamine-cyanurate so any typical pool pH will be fine as a starting point. There was some question at some point with whether a high FC might affect the CYA test, but we determined it wasn't (in this thread).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks Richard. That's why I defer to the expert.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?