Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Goodbye baquacil

1. Back To Top    #1

Goodbye baquacil

Hello everyone! I just started my conversion from baquacil to chlorine today. I have dumped 6 gal. of 6% bleach in and took my first reading about an hour after I added it. Here is where I am:

Total hardness: 0
    Total chlorine: 3
    Free chlorine: 0
    pH: 7.4
    Total alkalinity: 80

My question as a newbie to this process is: Should I continue to add bleach (about 3 gal./hour) until my total chlorine gets to 15? I also have concerns about running my filter overnight. I understand that I need to run it 24/7 to get all the junk out of my filter, pipes, etc., but I still get nervous...can't keep my eye on it to make sure nothing is going wrong... Would it hurt to run the filter on "recirculate" during the night time to make sure the filter doesn't get stopped up or something awful like that...I know I'm a worrier and my husband tells me that it will be ok. Just newbie nerves I guess. Anything has to be better than the past 3 years of cloudy, milky, ucky water that nobody wants to swim in.
    24' Round/13500 gal/vinyl liner/2hp pump/sand filter (not sure size)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Goodbye baquacil

You need to bring it up to 15, and use as much as it takes to hold it there. Use the pool calculator to figure out bleach amounts. Dose, test, and redose as often as you can, the more often the better.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3
    Labelle, TX

Couple of tips. I helped my sister when she did hers. Don't really worry about the high CC at the start. Save your regents, it will be high. After you start to get a hand on it then run a FC and CC test. When you first start all you really want to do is keep the FC up. I do hope you have a good test kit. Oh.... take pictures.

BTW: where are you getting 6%. That's not really common anymore. Most household bleach went to 8.25%. Also add you pool specs to your sig. will be your new friend in short order.

Pictures please
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

We need pictures every step of the way - through the mushroom cloud of the initial dose, the technicolor show, the clumps of ectoplasm, the color changing to something people might want to get in, right through until sparkling.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK...Here's my first pic!!!!

jcowart ~ you are correct...I am using 8.25%'s hard to see that tiny writing w/out my glasses!! I have ordered a TF-100XL test kit. I am using my parent's kit until mine gets here...hopefully tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Has anyone had problems running their filter during the night? I'm just worried that it will get clogged but my husband doesn't seem to think that will be a problem as long as we backwash good before bed. Just curious as to everyone else's experience.

I will post pics of day 2 tomorrow and update my levels. Thanks to everyone for being so nice and helpful!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Run your filter 24/7. If it clogs up, it will not harm it, you will only lose a lot of efficiency.

Are you backwashing your filter each time the pressure rises by 25% or so?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok great! Yes I have backwashed it once today and will do so before bed. I haven't noticed the pressure increasing yet and I have been checking it each hour. Hopefully all will continue good throught the week!!