Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I went to the pool store the other day...

1. Back To Top    #1

So I went to the pool store the other day...

Friday I went to our local pool store because I wanted to price the Speed Stir and reagents. A pool clerk came up to me and this was our convo:

Him: "Can I help you with anything?"
    Me: "No thanks, I'm just looking at your reagents. (Nothing was priced.) How much is your Speed Stir?"
    Him: (Goes to check the computer.) "$55."
    Me: "Nevermind!"
    Him: "Do you need help balancing your pool?"
    Me: "No thank you. I use the BBB method."
    Him: "Oh, okay. Never heard of it. What is it?"
    Me: "Well there's this great website called 'Trouble Free Pool' and they basically school you on using bleach, baking soda and Borax (and a few other things) to keep your pool balan--."
    Him: "Oh geez! I heard another customer in here the other day talking about adding Borax to their pool!"
    Me: "Well, the method works amazingly well! So far no problems."
    Him: "You know adding all those substances is going to knock your pool out of whack."
    Me: "I don't add them all at once--"
    Him: "You should be shocking it once a week--"
    Me: "Well, actually I don't need t--"
    Him: "I would bring your water in for testing!"
    Me: "I have a Taylor K2006 and know how to use--"
    Him: "I'm just afraid you're going to have a green pool before long."
    Me: "I doubt that." (I start to walk away)
    Him: (Smugly) "We'll see you back again!"
    Me: "I think not."

Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So I went to the pool store the other day...

I love it!!!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have 3 pool stores close to me. 2 of the pool stores basically told me I was an idiot because the ONLY chemicals I use in my pool are CYA, MA, and chlorine bleach, except for trichlor for vacations. And oh shame on me for testing my own water, it cant be anywhere as close to accurate as their tests. Now the other pool store agreed with me and, have told me thats the same chemicals they use to maintain their personal pools! Well you know who gets my money for all of my supplies, pool accessories, and/or parts! I love PS stories!
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Him: (Smugly) "We'll see you back again!"
    Me: "I think not."
    I think my personal response would've had to have been, "Well, you ain't seen me in the 5 years I have been practicing BBB so I don't think you will see me in the next 5 either."

Very nice responses all around though.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

I have been using the same pool store for 2+ years, they never once tried to sell me anything, I just go in once a month and buy 10% chlorine from them. They don't ask, and I don't tell. 2.5 gallons for $4.00.

6. Back To Top    #6

Intex 15'x48" AG metal frame pool (4,440 gal), Krystal Clear (1600) 14" sand filter, Taylor K2006 test kit, Intex Deluxe Maintenance Kit/vacuum (love it!), Intex Deluxe Skimmer, BBB.

7. Back To Top    #7

You should bring a sample in and have them test it, in front of you.

8. Back To Top    #8

Better yet, bring enough sample, and have your test kit with you. Match them test for test.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

Oooo, you guys are bad!

10. Back To Top    #10

Like a dummy, I sent my wife to the pool store the day after we got our pool ( motivated by the pool builder ) and dropped 300$ on chemicals... i returned all of them the next day and went and spent 50$ on summer supplies for the pool... So far Im into the pool for about 100$ in chemicals ( baking soda, borax and bleach ) have had the pool almost turn on me a few times... yes i do shock it once in a while ( before a big party, or after a big party if lots of kids are in the water ) but so far it's been easy street for the pool this summer. More Bleach than anything. Pool store can go pound sand!
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

11. Back To Top    #11

You mean they cannot force you to come back? LOL
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

What...no TDS lecture? They let you off easy!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

13. Back To Top    #13

I went to Leslie's for MA and I asked if they had 12% liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) and he said, "No we don't have liquid chlorine but if you really want to add liquid chlorine you can mix this in a bucket of water before dumping it in your pool."

"This" was granular cal-hypo. I told him, no thanks my CH is already at 430. He reiterated that liquid chlorine was the same thing. Mmmmmkay.
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Dreampool13
    I went to Leslie's for MA and I asked if they had 12% liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) and he said, "No we don't have liquid chlorine but if you really want to add liquid chlorine you can mix this in a bucket of water before dumping it in your pool."

"This" was granular cal-hypo. I told him, no thanks my CH is already at 430. He reiterated that liquid chlorine was the same thing. Mmmmmkay.
    Well, at least they didn't branch into alchemy

DaveNC's post
    Once I asked the pool store guy if all this Cal-Hypo "shock" he had me dumping in (Nearly 100 lbs in the last 6 weeks or so) would raise my calcium hardness too high, and he actually said "No, the calcium turns to chlorine. It won't affect your calcium hardness level."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

OMG! I just checked on my pool calculator to see what 100lbs would do. On my 17,000 gallon pool it said it would raise my CH from 0 to 650!
    17,000 inground gunite pool finished June 2013. Pentair variable speed something or another. Polaris cleaner, inline rainbow chlorinator. Using trichlor until CYA reaches 50-60.

16. Back To Top    #16

Next time you go, tell them that you think you may have too much dihydrogen monoxide in your pool and you don't know how to get it out.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

In the Industry

All funny stories, but remember, pool stores if run properly will dispense the same advice as BBB, sadly, some people, do not want simple, they want tons of chems to make them feel better. My experience is to find a mom n pop business and support them, once they get to know you, they will offer you discounts similar to online stores. I love supporting local business, as long as this business knows what they are talking about.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

pool stores if run properly will dispense the same advice as BBB
    Many of us would like to think that ( I certainly used to) but it's not a very good business model.

Liquid chlorine and muriatic acid and maybe some baking soda for just a few months out of the year will not sustain a retail pool business.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

In the Industry

Disagree dave, any pool store trying to make a living off just chemicals wont be around for long, at best it should be 30% of their total business.

20. Back To Top    #20

I wish I could get 2 gallons of 10% bleach from our pool store for $4, they sell one gallon of 11% for $11, I even called before I went down there and the girl had told me $7 on the phone. I hate inflation! Lol
    27000 gal 18x36 rectangle In-Ground built in 1978
    Vinyl liner, 3/4hp Hayward Super pump, single speed 3450rpm
    SWG: Hayward Aquarite AQR15
    Sand Filter: 300 pound sta-rite T-240BP-1, 3.14 sqft surface area
    K-2006 Test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast