Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slight discoloration/scum ABOVE the water line

1. Back To Top    #1

Slight discoloration/scum ABOVE the water line

Pool is new this year, and for the first month or so, we were working on getting proper chemical balance. We're just about there now; fine tuning CYA and then everything should be in line with TFP recommendations.

I've noticed that between the water line and top of the pool that I have a slight discoloration (Almost brown?) Hard to tell of the color on the blue pool, but it also continues into the light color skimmer and definitely brown-ish there. You can also feel it - the side of the pool below the water line is smooth, while above is not. It's almost scummy, but it doesn't come off. Tried rubbing it with a finger, brush, nothing. It's not bad, but I don't want it to get too far gone. VERY uniform around the entire pool at and above the water line.

Any thoughts?
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    Aquacal Superquiet 110, installed 6/2014
    TFT 100

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Slight discoloration/scum ABOVE the water line

Where did your fill water coming from; municipal, well, or trucked in? It sounds like it could be iron staining, if you have vitamin C tablets, hold one against against the stain for 30 seconds. If it lightens or goes away it is an iron stain and you can remove it with ascorbic acid. If it doesn't, then that should rule that out and help narrow down the problem.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

5500 gallons came from the water truck, 3000 gallons came from the hose, which is public/city water.

Vitamin C tablet - like from a drug store or something? I don't, but easy enough to get.
    Leisure Pools Riv 30, 8500 gal, IG fiberglass, 200 sqft cart filter (Clean & Clear 200), Intelliflo 3HP variable speed pump, Aqua Rite SWG, auto cover, installed 5/2013
    TFT 100

4. Back To Top    #4

And just a follow-up - if iron is in the water, I would see this ABOVE the water line?
    TFT 100

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yep, just a vitamin C pill. And yes, as the water ripples it gets above the water line, evaporates, and leaves behind whatever was in it. I don't know if this is the what is happening, but if you can't scrub it off it's worth a try.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

It could also be grease/oils. I've seen that, a brownish color, where it doesn't rub off with a brush. Try gently rubbing it with a 'magic eraser'.
    19,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16x32' vinyl, Hayward Tristar 3/4 HP pump, Hayward 4820 DE filter, 9 Aquatherm solar panels, Hayward H350FD heater, TF-100 test kit.