Another New Pool

I just put up my pool this summer in may so far everything is ok I think is there anything I should be looking out for ? Or be doing ? I have been adding chlorine with a floating 3 in tablet chlorinators. Also been adding algea stuff weekly about 1 quart a week. I have been useing test strips which from what i see on here and from trying to use them isn't that good I may have to buy a better kit. I also vaccume my pool atleast once a week and keep all bugs and stuff out. I have a solar cover I leave on all the time when not in use. Any help or anything i'm doing wrong or should be doing would be great help thanks in advance. My pool info is in sig.

Once you order and receive your test kit and we can see valid results, we can help you with what you need.

Until then, what kind of results are you getting with your strips?

Using the pucks, Your CYA may be getting high. You could switch to bleach now, to reduce the chance that it has gotten too high. Use http://www.poolcalculator.com to figure your dosage, with the assumption that you have at least 50ppm CYA. We won't know the actual level until it's tested with a proper kit.

It might be a good idea to stop using the algaecide, especially since most are copper or zinc based. Your call, without knowing what your true chemical levels are.

As Bama Rambler said, Pool School is your friend. Read as much as you can in there. and then go back and read it again. Repeat as needed until you understand the basic principles behind what we teach here.

ALL I can say Is WOW pool school is confusing lol. I have been reading not sure it is sinking in yet but I now you said read it many times so I will sounds like you guys use the BBB method I will look into what bleach cost verses chlorin tablets. But so far i am still lost in it all I will get numbers off my test strips tonight and post later. And in the mean time will keep reading pool school and hoping it starts clicking.

I tested pool last night with test strips was after lot of use as we had people over to swim and BBQ any how I tested it before i but cover back on for the night test where as follows Hardness-400 FC-1/2 PH-6.4 TA-180 CA-0. I leave the solar cover on when ever we are not using it also water temp runs 88 -- 96 degrees.

If by CA you mean CYA, you need to go to your local hardware store with a pool section, or to Walmart and pick up some stabilizer. Read the package, and make sure it is 99% cyanuric acid. Also read the dosage instructions, and figure for an initial target of 30 ppm.

When you get home from that task, order a test kit! Those strips are going to get you into trouble. Guaranteed. Please don't fall into the trap so many others that come here looking for help AFTER those strips have screwed their pool chemistry. There is a reason we push the test kits. We would prefer that you buy from http://tftestkits.net/ (helps support the forum), but you are free to order from wherever you like. Just make sure it is a FAS-DPD kit. Once you get a good kit and are comfortable using it, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

With a good test kit, pool school will become a whole lot less confusing, as you will begin to understand the inter-relationships of all the tests and chemicals.

You need to bring your FC up a bit. Until you get some CYA into the water, you will essentially lose all your FC during the day. This can and usually does lead to a green pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My TF-100 showed up and I did my first water test hope I did it all right here are my numbers I came up with. First two test had me check for chiorin and PH said dont record but those numbers were chlorin 5-10 and ph 7.2 FC-11 CC- 0 TA-220 TH 150 CYA-60. I did this check last night about sun down.

I'm no expert by any means lol, But the best advice I can give you is BLEACH :) I use the BBB method cause well it works lol and is sooooo much cheaper than the chemicals that the "pool store" tries to get you to buy. Like others have said on different threads, don't add anything that you really don't need...Best thing to have first off is a good test kit, Which I see you have now :) I used BBB since June 25 or 26th, and still to this day my pool looks like this :) Good luck and enjoy that pool :) Happy Monday :wave:

Attachments

• mymypool.jpg
    mymypool.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 80
I did add bleach I have just switched over too the BBB system so not sure what i am doing. Do this readings look ok ? My pool is in full sun all day temps been in the 90's my pool water is also 90 I leave my solar cover on when ever not in use 3 people using the pool every day.

Those numbers look good to me. The TA is high, but that will come down over time as you add acid to keep the pH in range. I didn't re-read the whole thread, but do you have a reason to think something is wrong? Just make sure your chlorine never drops below 5, and you should be fine.

If you survived high school chemistry you can maintain your pool water. It seems intimidating at first, but with the TF-100 test kit you have and the Pool Calculator linked from Pool School, it's actually pretty easy and even fun. I just started this year with the BBB method and my water has been sparkling clear all summer. OK, upgrading the cheapo pump and filter that came with my pool to a sand filter definitely helped too, but I'm not putting any extra chemicals in my pool that I don't need. Just bleach every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.