FC level not dropping when trying to shock

dlwxman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2013
Lafayette, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Pool very green. I have studied Pool School and I think I understand all the concepts. I ordered and received the TF test kit.
My CYA was nearly zero so I added enough to get it to 40. I left town for a few days while the CYA dissolved. This morning I tested
and CYA was 40-45 which calls for about 16ppm shock level. I added 4 jugs of bleach (8.25% at 121oz per jug) according to the Pool Calculator. I waited half an hour and tested FC but still 16.5. I waited another half hour and still 16.5. Why isn't it dropping?

That's ok, since it's cloudy green that indicates the need to shock. Wait till last thing to run the OCLT.

Check the FC again in about an hour and see if it's dropped. It may not be consuming the FC very fast.

OK...I did study about the overnite test earlier and understand. Just started the process this morning. Added bleach at 9:30am. Tested at 10am and FC was 16.5. Tested again at 1030am...still 16.5. Now just tested at 11:15am and it's now 15.5.

While I'm waiting to test FC again, I have another question. Is there a recommended method of adding bleach to the pool? I started by pouring a jug around the edge, then another jug at arm's length then poured the other two jugs into a bucket and spread across the middle of the pool. How long does it take for the bleach to become evenly distributed throughout the pool?

You should pour it slowly in front of a running return. If you do that it takes about 30 minutes to become completely integrated in the pool water. It's probably faster than that, but 30 minutes makes sure it's enough time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Two tests in a row and the FC dropped to 13. May be from sunlight but have had mostly clouds so far. I guess the UV probably penetrates the clouds anyway. Anyway I'm now in the process of maintaining shock level.

Is it abnormal for my FC level to be dropping only to the 13-15 range after testing and adding bleach every hour for the last 9 hours? No FC change on a couple of them. My shock level is 16 and I've been padding it to 18. Not seeing any improvement yet. Too early?

The CYA test is not affected by the FC.

You can pour the mixture back and forth a few times to see if you get the same answer ... and outside with your back to the sun is the proper lighting.

dlwxman said:
Is the CYA test valid under high FC levels? Maybe I should re-check it? Just read about re-mixing a few times and checking the levels. Also I did it indoors rather than outdoors.
CYA testing is not affected by Chlorine levels. Proper lighting is essential. Outdoors when the sun is high is best. Turn your back to the sun so the vial is shaded and hold at waist level looking straight down at the dot as you pour. Clouds, sun down low will give you different results as will testing indoors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.