Nosy me! I tested my parents pool water and found this....

Jul 8, 2013
Grenada, MS
I went to visit my parents over the weekend and we spent some time in their pool. This is the same pool that I swam in while I was growing up. The water was clear and everything looked fine, but I'm a little obsessed with my new TF-100 (my husband thinks I'm insane) and I just couldn't help but test their water!

A little background on their pool:
It's an in-ground pool with 33,000 gallons of water. Vinyl Liner. Sand Filter. I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the pump. I know that they use chlorine tablets in the skimmer. They don't test the water. They just take a sample to the pool store if something starts to look weird and they do whatever the pool store tells them to do to fix it. They also shock (pool store shock in a bag....they don't know anything about TFP) the pool twice a week on Wednesdays and Sundays. We are an Italian family and there are a LOT of us, so the pool stays pretty packed most weekends. Other than the pucks and shock, they only add chemicals when the pool store says they need them. They DO have a small leak somewhere that they haven't been able to find for years, because about once a week or so they have to add about an inch of water.

So.............here are the results (FYI: they added 4 pucks to the skimmer basket last night):

FC = .5 (if that much. the sample still seemed clear even after I put in the powder, but for good measure I dropped in a drop of R-0871 and I THINK it might have gotten a LITTLE clearer)
CC. = 1
TC = 1.5
pH = 7.5
TA = 90
CYA = 0 (I guess. I could still see the black dot after the tube was completely full)

I'm just a little confused by these results. I understand why the FC is so low. (LOW CYA). What I don't understand is how the CYA level is so low. I know they have a leak, but it really doesn't seem like they are replacing THAT much water with an inch every two weeks. Especially considering the fact that they have no idea what BBB is, they have NEVER fully drained their pool, and they ONLY use Trichlor to chlorinate their pool. I assumed that their CYA level would be sky high.

I'm new to pool chemistry and I'm new to TFP, but I think I've read "pool school" enough times where I'm beginning to recite it in my sleep. LOL

p.s. I KNOW I'm about to get lectured for allowing my family to continue to be "pool stored," but believe me. I've TRIED! My mother thinks I'm crazy for adding BLEACH to my pool. She said "OMG!!! That's not safe!! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU LET YOUR KIDS SWIM IN THAT!" bahahahaha :blah: I've tried OVER and OVER and OVER to explain to her that it's the exact same thing, but you can't tell Italian women anything!!! We are born hard-headed and always right.

Also, this pool is owned three ways between her, one of her brothers, and one of her sisters. So, even if I could sell her on the idea, I would have to sell my Aunt and Uncle as well. My Uncle is the one that handles the chemicals, and if you think Italian women are pig-headed then you should see the Italian men.

Re: Nosy me! I tested my parents pool water and found this..

Are you sure they are using regular trichlor pucks, and not one of these strange products like Sustain which seems to be a blend of of chlorine compounds?

but you can't tell Italian women anything!!! We are born hard-headed and always right.

There's an understatement!! Coming from a husband of an Italian.

chem geek said:
If the pool was closed for the winter or the chlorine level got to zero for too long, then bacteria could have oxidized the CYA. Is the pool store "shock" Cal-Hypo?

I asked my mom about the shock and she wasn't sure if they were using Cal-Hypo or not. She just called it shock.

Isaac-1 said:
Are you sure they are using regular trichlor pucks, and not one of these strange products like Sustain which seems to be a blend of of chlorine compounds?

Yes. Regular Trichlor pucks.

woodyp said:
A loss of an iinch of water weekly in the summer is quite reasonable btw.

That's good to know. Thanks. I will let them know.

Leebo said:
but you can't tell Italian women anything!!! We are born hard-headed and always right.

There's an understatement!! Coming from a husband of an Italian.

According to my husband us Italian women are so lovable that our men just have to learn to accept the fact they they are ALWAYS wrong and we are ALWAYS right! :lol:

I will see if I can find out from my Uncle what type of shock they use.

I'd check your CYA again, seem about 200 too low if they are using pucks. I used only 4 pucks for a week to get my CYA up, went from 35 to 50. Make sure you are filling 50% with pool water and 50% with R0013. Amazing how many people use pucks!

chem geek said:
If the pool was closed for the winter or the chlorine level got to zero for too long, then bacteria could have oxidized the CYA. Is the pool store "shock" Cal-Hypo?
Why you ask her that? I know Cal-Hypo has no CYA in it, but wondering if you were implying something else?

I thought "Regular Trichlor pucks" had CYA (which is what I used to raise mine, and she replied were used). I didn't think CYA would ever go down without replacing water.

tcat said:
I thought "Regular Trichlor pucks" had CYA (which is what I used to raise mine, and she replied were used). I didn't think CYA would ever go down without replacing water.
You are right, tri-chlor does contain CYA. And it shouldn't go down without replacing water. But I was asking ChemGeek why he was wondering if they shock with Cal-Hypo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

There are cal-hypo pucks available as well as cal-hypo "shock". She didn't list a test result for calcium, so we don't know if it is high or not. If they are using only cal-hypo products they may well have 0 CYA.

CYA can be broken down into Ammonia by soil bacteria, this often happens over the winter when pools are closed and allowed to turn into swamp like conditions, but seems to also sometimes happen when chlorine just gets low, although it is rare and not well understood.

Ike

I was just wanting to see if the CYA was only coming from pucks or also from shock (as from Dichlor). If just from pucks, then they could have had the chlorine get to zero at some point and had bacteria get rid of it. If they have been using Dichlor shock since then, then it's less likely to not see any CYA in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.