Need to do a lot of balancing

Lower the pH first, though using dichlor will lower your pH a bit.

You can use dichlor to start the process, it will add just as much chlorine as stabilizer (for every 1 ppm of chlorine it raises CYA by about 0.9 ppm). So make sure to track it carefully, assume your CYA will raise immediately even though it won't show up on a test for a week or two. I would ignore the trichlor, just save it for times you will be away for a couple of days. If you use all of your dichlor or add enough to get your CYA between 30-50 then switch to strictly bleach.

JohnN said:
In your case, dichlor is not a bad choice. It will raise FC, raise CYA, and lower pH. Use the effects of adding chemicals section to see how much is safe to use.

I know the pH calculations are not exact, especially when the range is out of the 7.2-7.8 but just adding enough dichlor to reach a FC of 10 is giving me a number of -.38. Obviously, I'll have to add more to keep the FC level up and with the current CYA level and pH I can pretty much add a total of 10lbs of dichlor while still theoretically keeping the CYA and pH within the recommended levels.

Well I lowered the pH a bit and began slamming and finally it is at least hold chlorine. All last night I'd check it every hour or two and there would be next to no FC. (Thank god I order the extra chems to theck FC/CC) I know pucks aren't the most popular thing around here, but I just kept them in the baskets after I went to bed last night to at least keep some sort of chlorine in the pool. Though I've been tracking everything including my CYA which was basically zero before. I'm about at the end of my trichlor and dichlor leash, so now I'm switching over to liquid. Thanks very much for everyone's help, I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but it is a start.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.