AquaRite--New Install--Is it going to Spontaneously Combust?

G-Coop

Jun 9, 2008
Not really--but...I am hoping to get some feedback on whether it is typical for the Control Unit to be so hot to the touch. Just installed the unit myself and it is running fine generating chlorine as it should. I finally got all the salt in the pool and turned it on. I needed to shock the pool and I was down to my last gal of bleach so I turned on superchlorinate mode. The only thing of particular concern is that the housing of the unit is hot to the touch. I understand that there is a transformer inside and that heat will be generated but it was hotter than I would have expected while generating.

So...how hot does the housing get on your unit @ 100% output? Should I be concerned?

Thx for the reply.

The unit is in an enclosed 5'X8' "pumproom" so its not in the sun. The last few days, with the 98 degree temps here in the east, it has been well over 90 degrees inside that room. I can put my hand on the housing and not get burned but after 5-10 seconds it is uncomfortable. I could probably leave my hand there longer. Hopefully this gives you an idea of how hot it is.

A side note: When the unit is in the off position it is only warm to the touch. But running at 100% is when it gets hot. When I left for work this morning I set it to Auto where I currently have it set @ 50%. I am expecting that the unit will not be as hot as it was. We'll see if that plays out this evening.

It wouldn't surprise me if it gets that hot, but I don't have direct experience with it. Given it uses a large transformer to step down the voltage (not the most efficient way to step down voltage) and it's running more than five amps through the cell, I'd expect it to get pretty darn warm.

I have a Pro-Logic PS-8 - the Aquarite's big brother - and in the manual they specifically said not to enclose the case in a small area, because it acts as a heat sink for the transformer. It's probably the fact that it's in your pump room and not getting good airflow that is causing it to run hot.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If indeed the Aquarite is using the case as a heat sync as the pro-logic unit does that makes sense. Being that its from the same manufacturer and considering my enclosed area with limited airflow I feel better now. I may actually rig a cooling fan up to it at some point to help pass some air over/through the unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.