Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 64 Lbs of calcium hardness, really???

1. Back To Top    #1

64 Lbs of calcium hardness, really???

Hi folks,

Just finished getting all my chemicals in balance in the pool and she just looks beautiful. I was going to add CH today and went to pool store to have the water tested since I don't have my kit yet and it tested 0 CH. He told me that was because the water was from the well and was going to the carbon filter, it would lack the calcium. Now according to him, I should add 1Lb in my 23,000 gallons pool, but with the pool calculator I have to add 64 Lbs. That sounds excessive, is that real?

IG * pebble * 23,700 gal * DE Pro-Grid 3620 * Spa * NO-SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: 64 Lbs of calcium hardness, really???

Zero CH sounds bogus to me.

Run from that pool store and take charge of your pool by doing your own testing.

His suggestion of 1 lb is equally bogus.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: 64 Lbs of calcium hardness, really???

64 pounds of Calcium Chloride Anhydrous in 23,000 gallons is 300 ppm CH so would be correct if you truly had 0 ppm CH to start with. Wait for your test kit to find out your real CH level.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"