How close is too close?

Hi there. A question for you...

In your opinion, how close is too close to palce the pool next to the house? Our house is built on a slab none of the house is underground.

Pool is ultra frame type and we are planning to dig a space about 2 feet into the ground a couple feet larger than pool size and we are building a retaining wall within there. Then building a deck all around.

Trying to decide placement asap

Well... How close is too close for YOU??? if said pool would burst, out of control, rushing water into your house?

Ive seen a pic or 2 in these forums of intex pools a foot or 2 from the house.

If you have no basement and are digging down 2 ft I would say get as close as you feel comfortable with.

My pool is about 10 feet from my house, but I have no choice but to have it where it is. Half of my pool area is my neighbors property, but they don't mind at all.

Check this article about angle of repose.

Picture your house edge as being the top of a stockpile, and consider the dirt to be a loose conical pile. From the edge of your house, you move outward to where the base of that stockpile would be.

You want to be at least the distance of where the base of such a stockpile would be plus 1/3 of that from what would be the top of your pile, if it was all loose dirt.

The reasoning behind this is if something should collapse, it won't take part of your house foundation with it, in the case of a hole.

It is figured both ways. If you had a basement, and were adding in an above ground pool with no dig, you would need to be at least that same distance described from the vertical wall of your basement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.