Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FAS-DPD titration test

1. Back To Top    #1

FAS-DPD titration test

I wanted to question the minds of others when it comes to the Titration test; are you addictive to it?

For my pool, I have the TF-100 test kit, and I do the daily TC/PH test, with the 5 drops of each respectful liquid, but I hate the TC one. The yellows look alike, and unless you have completely saturated white light, I can't tell if its a 3, 4 or 5. Not to mention I try and keep mine at 6-7 with CYA of 50.

Now No matter what I do, I find my take my 10ml of water, dump the powder in the autostirer, and count the drops. Maybe its the engineer in me that just has to know what my levels are in the morning, but I love this test!

Anyone else with me in the "must know" situation!?
    15000 gallon in ground pool.
    White Plaster, Tucson Az
    Duel Speed Pump with Sand Filter.
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FAS-DPD titration test

I can't read the yellows that well either. My 8 year old daughter does that for me and she's very good at it. I have to use the powder.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

It takes a lot of practice and better than average color discrimination to read the OTO test between 3 and perhaps 10, which is to say that most people can't tell the difference of any two numbers in that rage. That said, the test is still useful, but in a different way. It won't tell you a specific number, but it will tell you if things are more or less alright or have gone very wrong. To say that another way, if it reads 3+ then we can assume that things are going well, but if it is below 3 then something has gone wrong and needs immediate attention. If you back that up with the full FAS-DPD test once or twice a week and any time there seems to be a problem, you should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

<<<not addicted to it. Since I don't have a SWG and am keeping my CYA at 40 which give me a min/target of 3/5. I did use the fas/dpd test for 3 days every 24 hours to get a baseline chlroine loss. Now I'm just adding 16 oz per day and using the oto test and as long as its at least the brightest yellow I;m good. Then once a week or other week, I will see if my daily addition is taking me too high or if I'm slowly dropping low.If the cover is off for the day or after there has been a lot of activity in the pool when chlorine loss is increased I will get out the fas/dpd to see what i need to get it up to 6 to get back to my 16 oz per day routine.

As far as comparing the colors, my preference is to use my hand and cover everything up and spread my fingers to only see one row at a time.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

5. Back To Top    #5

That's basically what I do. Except my daughter reads the yellows for me. I hold the vial up to the computer screen with a blank word document open.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit