Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracks and chips in Pebble Tec after 8 years?!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cracks and chips in Pebble Tec after 8 years?!!!!

After 8 years, we have a few cracks and chips in the pebble tec of our spa. We were told by many pool professionals we should re-pebble the entire spa, as it will only last 8-10 years. But after reading the great info on this forum, it appears the pebble tec should last up to 20 years!! Note, the spa doesn't have any cracks (we did a dye test).

Thanks for any advice in advance. I was going to call the contractor tomorrow to set a date to re-pebble both the pool and spa (as was recommended to do it before it got worse), but I'm hoping just a patch and repair job will do the trick!
    5,000 gal pool/spa, IG, pebble tec, DE, pool built 5/05

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cracks and chips in Pebble Tec after 8 years?!!!!

An installer will give you a better idea if a patch will work or not. It's hard for us to say because we don't know anything about the installation and how it's been treated chemically.
    I'd guess a patch would work, but that's just a guess.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting a quote of $500 to patch and repair, $4500 to replace all pebble in pool and spa and about $1200 to repair a cracked skimmer due to shifting in our backyard. Do those quotes sound reasonable or excessive? Also I'm being told from a few different pool contractors that pebble tec typically lasts between 7-10 years. However, in this forum it seems it should last more like 15-20 yrs.

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you called Pebble Tec and asked them to send someone out to look at it?

Have you called the person who installed it and asked if they will give you a discount because it has not lasted that long?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

I have not done that yet. I didn't know Pebble Tec would do that. Also my pool contractor is out if business.

6. Back To Top    #6

Pebble Tec has a "lifetime warranty" whatever that means. But it only covers materials apparently. I would call them and ask them to send the rep out to look at it. Even if you can't make a warranty claim I bet they want to look at it.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall