Do you recognize this motor? Mystery pump inside.

Hello Honda89!
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

What sort of equipment do you have, how big is your pool, do you have water features, suction side cleaner, etc...?
Please fill these things into your signature and location info in your profile as instructed in the 1st link in pool school. This way we can better assist you based on your climate and equipment.

Thanks

Thank you both for your reply! Sorry for not filling out my signature, will add the info now.

Sorry, I am an amateur on this topic, wasn't exactly sure what you were meaning by casing but I hope these pictures are what you were referring to.

http://imgur.com/a/qGqSs#2

Thanks again for your response!

**Edit - Looking at other pictures of some casings online and I don't believe there such a casing for my pump. The motor attaches directly to the pipe pictured above. Sorry if this isn't helpful!

The casing and how the motor mounts to it looks somewhat similar, however the motor and impeller mechanism seem to be different. What's left of the label on the motor has an "A" at the beginning of what looks like a brand name. I was thinking maybe it is the A in either Aquaflow, AO Smith, or perhaps just the beginning of Anthony.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its definitely an AO smith motor. The question is which one.

I found the folks at Century (used to be AOSmith) to be incredibly helpful.

Edit ... Linen already has you WAAAY further down the road. :whoot: Good job.

I take it you're after keeping the wet end & basket housing, just replacing the motor only?

Do you just have a basic filter & pump setup, or do you have other equipment such as a heater, solar panels, suction side cleaner, fountains, in-floor cleaning system, swcg, etc...?

The motor started to make a loud whirring noise that the neighbors aren't too keen on (bad bearing I believe, already tried lubricating). So yes, I am trying to just replace the motor if possible (I think this would be the cheapest option?). I do have a heater for the spa and pool but I've removed the motor and im hoping to just be able to swap out the impeller and diffuser and replace the motor part.

If anyone has any better suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks again for everyone's help and posts!

The cheapest option today would be to just replace the motor.

But you live in southern California

In the long run your cheapest option is to replace the entire pump with a variable speed pump. It will probably pay for itself within five years in lower electricity costs.

And your neighbor will wonder if you filled in the pool.

You could take the motor to a small motor shop. They will know within seconds ( minutes?). If they get stumped, they can take the end off and count the windings. The frames are very simple and there are only about 4 common sizes.

gwegan said:
The cheapest option today would be to just replace the motor.

But you live in southern California

In the long run your cheapest option is to replace the entire pump with a variable speed pump. It will probably pay for itself within five years in lower electricity costs.

Yes, the motor is cheaper than a whole new pump.
But VS motors and pumps are typically discouraged except for setups that would otherwise require a very high draw, high HP pump, or multiple pumps. Then yes, in those applications they can save you money.
But in cases such as this, where it sounds like the owner's pumping needs are pretty basic, a 2-speed motor replacement would do juuust fine. Saving you tons of money on low speed.

You have to have electrical rates and/or consumption needs high enough to warrant the high cost of a VS pump, or motor. Otherwise it simply won't pay for itself in its lifetime.

Do consider a 2-speed motor. It's so worth it, where on low speed it moves only half the water, but consumes 1/3 less electricity. Perfect for daily filtration needs and the high speed is there when you need it.

Hmm, my main concerns about installing a VS pump system would be mostly what y_not outlined, I really only need a very simple pumping system. My main concern with your suggestion of a 2-speed pump, y_not, is mostly that I would have to invest in a new timer and new switches for the two speed operation - if i'm not mistaken. Could drive the cost up, but if you feel it is still worth it then I will definitely take a look further into it.

I am also still trying to discern exactly what HP my old motor was. I think it is somewhere between 1-2 HP (I guess that probably accounts for most motors) but trying to find out which one it is. I measured the impeller and it's diameter is 4.75" which is congruent with the 2HP replacement impeller specs on inyopools, but it does not look the same as my current impeller (which is a opaque, clearish plastic). My thought is that perhaps the 1.5HP motor also uses the same size impeller? Slightly confused on this.

Thanks so much for everyone's posts!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.