Ongoing problems with steps

My in-ground pool steps have cracked for the third year in a row! These are brand-new, good quality steps that were installed last year. After I had problems two years in a row with heaving and cracking of the steps and concrete deck, I decided to bite the bullet and put in a new set of steps and a new liner. I carefully selected a contractor that was experienced in pool renovations and came highly recommended. I watched him dig out the old steps (which weren't properly supported) and install the new set with adequate concrete, a good amount of backfill, etc. But, again this year, we noticed cracking of the concrete around the shallow end and a crack in the upper right corner of the steps, above the water line. The corner looks like it popped up, because it's not completely level any more.

I am so fed up with this pool (installed by a previous owner of my house) :grrrr: ! Between having the concrete redone twice already (and it will need to be done a third time) and the fact that it's always unavailable for swimming during our short summer season, I am at my wit's end. Should I just cut my losses and have the %(#$*@( thing filled in?

Sure, here's a photo. We haven't had water quality issues, but we had to drain it completely both last year and the year before. It was down for most of the summer last year while we waited for two separate contractors to do their work (the pool restoration guy and the concrete guys). The previous year, it was out of commission for several weeks because the cracks were so bad that a lot of water was getting behind the liner, until we could get the guy in to do the patch (which was a bad decision in itself).

Attachments

• Pool Steps Crack.jpg
    Pool Steps Crack.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 154
Does anybody have any opinions? The pool renovator was out to look at it and is puzzled, as well. It doesn't look like much, if any movement, has occurred in the steps, although there is a crack in the concrete deck running from the other side of the steps out to the perimeter. The deck on the side where the crack is has a very fine hairline crack, but that's all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.