Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SOON TO BE NEW POOL OWNER MANY QUESTIONS ??

1. Back To Top    #1

SOON TO BE NEW POOL OWNER MANY QUESTIONS ??

HI i have a 15' foot above ground pool were going to be putting up i see many people using the foam coves foam wall liners and gorilla pad.
    i saw a site liner world to be exact that said if you use foam anything will cause fungus and health issues in the long run?? is this true ?? i want to use foam coves and foam wall but want to hear from anyone with experience first , also does it have to be the gorilla pad or can you use other names of this type of thing to prevent liner puncture?? please help i really want to get our pool up before summer is over
    12.5K, AG, Intex cartridge 2500 gl/hr 1/2hp, pool setup 06/11

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SOON TO BE NEW POOL OWNER MANY QUESTIONS ??

Welcome to TFP. Foam cove is a good idea although not required, not so much with the foam walls. Spray a weedkiller with a nutgrass killer in it for sure. A nice bed of sand can be used for the bottom. Make sure it's no more than 1" out of level at most.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, toymom81

We have no reports and there reasons that I know of where foam cove, etc. will cause health issues.

Unless you have a really rough interior pool wall, wall foam is not necessary. In fact it can make the liner a bit more susceptible to being penetrated by something sharp.

There are other brands of bottom pad that also work. I used extruded polystyrene foam boards for the bottom of mine.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

ok thank you i wasnt sure if the wall foam was necesary or not i definately need some kind of protection under the liner as we had a intex ultra frame pool in the same spot and a mouse chewed through the liner of it im hoping to put a stop to them with one of these barrier things they have out now it has a sand base where im putting this real above ground pool but will need more before we install it anyone know of a place that sells decent liners for a good price ?

5. Back To Top    #5

also thank you about the foam and the health issue liner world is the only one who has claimed anything like that so i wanted to know someones personal experience seemed a little odd to me

this is the link for the claim:

http://www.linerworld.com/pool_info/cat ... -Products/