new to the site and new pool owner w/ pics and test results

Jul 7, 2013
Tucker Ga.
Hi,

My name is Tyler and I've just acquired a new home that has a pool and I'm certain that you all know the rest. I tried talking with the teenage employees at the local pool supply store and haven't really gotten much out of it. As a result, I've decided to buy a complete test kit and want to learn as much as possible to make this a healthy experience. I've updated my profile and signature the best that I can and with that being said this is what I've got.

Results from 11:10 am test:

FC: 0
CC: 0
pH: 4
TA: 180 ppm
CH: 180 ppm
CYA: 60 ppm

It was extremely overcast but no rain and I decided to shock per the neighbors instruction with 4 bags of Shock. After 4 hours I re-tested and this is what I've got.

Results from 3:22 am test:

FC: 5
CC: 2
pH: 7.4
TA: 180 ppm
CH: 150 ppm
CYA: 70 ppm

We've had an algae bloom and would love to get in control of this. I've included pics of the 10 day forecast and current pictures of the pool. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and if there is any way that I could be of any assistance please ask.

What chemicals I do have available are:
One bottle of Algae Control 32.oz
2 more bags of shock
a 5 gallon bucket of Chlorine tablets
8 lbs. of Hadness plus
1 lb. dry acid
2/3 bottle Phos-Free
2/3 bottle of Ultra Brite

http://btbradberry.tumblr.com/post/55448243875 - link to all pictures and 10 day forecast

thanks in advance

Re: new to the site and new pool owner w/ pics and test resu

You need to SLAM your pool

I would only focus on your FC (chlorine) levels. Your CYA is high so you will need to raise your FC levels to a higher shock level to kill the algae and oxidize the CC. Read PoolSchool! understand the CYA/Chlorine relationship and focus on your FC

Ignore the other readings until your CC is near zero and your water is clear.

My first thought is "where'd you get those test results??" as they're very suspect. The pH level of 4 is accurate it is very bad. I'd deal with that first then move on to the rest. And CYA, while a subjective test reading, doesn't generally change like that.
Have you read the Pool School articles found up in the top right hand corner of your screen? That will give you a start as well as tell you how to order a good test kit which allows you to test *accurately* as well as consistently. I prefer the TF-100 myself. You need to be in control of your testing and not rely on the pool store or strips as both are notoriously inaccurate. Don't balk at the price-you'll save it tenfold once you see how *few* chemicals you'll be using and once you stay OUT of that pool store!!
Have you estimated your pool's volume of water? You'll need to do that also so you can plug the number into the Pool Calculator feature which guides you as to how much bleach, borax, MA or what-ever your pool requires to fix what ails it.
All those features can be found under "Pool School"

addendum- just reread and saw that the pH came up 7.4 in second test. Ignore my advice to treat it (as if it were really 4) if you're sure that 7.4 is more accurate.

Hang on to the dry acid, hardness plus, and shelve/pitch the rest............BUT......... keep the tabs handy for vacation and out of town usage. Bleach is your friend. Welcome to TFP.

after looking at the Chlorine/CYA Chart in Pool School I'm left with a few questions. With my CYA level at 70 ppm I want no lower than a FC of 5 and want to try and maintain a FC of 8? What exactly is a Shock FC of 28? Do i set the NOW FC in pool calculator to 5 and use the SHOCK FC of 28 as the goal or am I way off? A little direction could be greatly used.
Thanks

Yes. Now is 5 and your goal is 28. Hit calculate and it will tell you how much bleach to use. Don't forget to enter the percent of bleach your using.

5-8. Is your maintaince levels
28 is your shock level for SLAMMING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

That is correct.

SLAM the pool = Shock Level And Maintain.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

once calculated it's telling me that i need to add 5.45 bottles of bleach to get to the 28 FC, and your saying thats 5.45 bottles every hour or as often as possible with a minimum of 2x a day? are there any specific instructions for adding the liquid bleach or am i just pouring directly into the pool?

Thanks for everyone's input, you all are making this a much more pleasant experience.

Yes pour it in front of the return with pump running slowly.

You won't have add that much every time if you test it often When it drops below 28 then bring it back up . The longer you maintain the shock level of 28 the faster the slam process will go

Test as often as you can and maintain 28 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

my test kit which i thought was complete ended up not including the FAS/DPD Chlorine Test. Im going to test again shortly using the test I do have and then I will calculate to get to SHOCK FC this evening, tomorrow i will buy the test which will allow me to measure ppm that high so that I can maintain shock level.

Thanks

As they said above..Do not worry..stay patient...Keep the FC levels up to shock till...Water is crystal clear, The over-nite reading for FC does not drop more than 1.0 (I go to .05 drop over nite) and the CC is 0.5 or less. Brush / Vac.. Brush and more Vac. And don't back wash too much.. Only when the water coming out of the jets (returns) has markedly less pressure ( 8-10 PSI over start level on gauge) and BTW. adding DE helped a lot in my case. Oh turning one of the returns to where it pointed down in the deep end helped too. This is what I what told to do so just passing it on because it worked flawlessly for me ! With best regards, vsat88.

Thank you for your post and words of wisdom , got the new test kit today and updated FC level was 17.5 and CC is down to 1. Ive been keeping all debris out of the water and scrubbing once a day with the vacuum running at all times. Ibe just re-shocked to bring back up to SHOCK FC, and ill re-test in a while.

So today I've retested and the FC was 15 so once again I've brought it back up and from what I can tell my CC is down to 0. I am however curious about what I'm supposed to do once the water is crystal clear and passes the overnight test, and will the bleach take care of the cloudiness as well or will I have to add something else for that? Whats the next step I should take in order to make it swimmable?

By the way, I know I'm bombarding you all with questions but I don't want you all to think it's unappreciated. I am truly thankful for everything you have vested into answering all of my questions, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.