Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex relief valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex relief valve

is it possible that this little black relief valve on top of my plunger can air in leaf basket and cause pressure to drop? ( when I vacuum this seems to happen every time. Then I have to restart my pump to re-prime etc...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 9 x 52 rectangle. 4545 Gallons.
    12 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump w/ GFCI.
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System™ w/ GFCI.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex relief valve

I am not familiar with the new intex plunger valve. Is that an anti suction safety valve? If it is, then yes I could see air being sucked into it when if the vacuum line is small/restricted or the flow is restricted at the vacuum head.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

yes, anti suction safety valve. with the valve taped shut as a test I still get air in leaf basket. would bigger hose diameter help?
    Intex Ultra Frame 18 x 9 x 52 rectangle. 4545 Gallons.
    12 in Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump w/ GFCI.
    Krystal Clear Saltwater System™ w/ GFCI.
    TF-100 Taylor testing.
    K-1000 Taylor testing.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bigger hose may help restrict the flow less...so yes that could help. Also, it is possible once you add the add head loss of the vacuum you start pulling air in somewhere else like the leaf basket cover or the drain plugs or any other joint in the suction side plumbing. With the vacuum attached you could run water over the different joints and see if the air stops.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

if you do not have any problem during normal filtering/skimming with the pump basket staying full, And have the issue with air getting into the pump when vaccuming its most likely the anti-suction valve doing it. you can test this by placing your finger over the nipple for a few minutes and see if your pump basket fills. To solve this problem I drilled holes into the screw on vaccum attachment. A larger diameter hose could also help resolve this.
    15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC