Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intex pool pump, changing filter every hour??? slow flow

1. Back To Top    #1

intex pool pump, changing filter every hour??? slow flow

our pool pump works GREAT with NO FILTER!!! i put new filter in and it works for one hr tops!!! I am getting frustrated..we "upgraded" to Intex 56635EG 1500-Gallon Filter Pump last yr and worked great..this season like I said have to change every hr..therefore pool is nonstop cloudy. i checked all connections and is fine...is the pump shot? makes me question since it works great when no filter in it? upgrading to sand filter pump next yr...but hoping to get thru this summer yet..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: intex pool pump, changing filter every hour??? slow flow

Welcome to tfp, marisakay

If you are having to clean the cartridge every hour and your water is cloudy, than it is likely you have algae in your pool. To get rid of the algae, you need to do the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...king_your_pool

What kind and how big is your pool?

What do you have for a test kit?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Your thinking is backwards. Your pool isn't cloudy because the filter is clogging up. The filter is clogging because the pool is cloudy. Your water is the culprit, not the filter. What linen says is likely the issue. Can you post test results?
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the help..i really appreciate it!!!! our pooil is 18x 48 metal frame.....the only test kit I have tests PH and chlorine...chlorine is showing in 7s and ph around 6.5..I need to get a better kit..is A 6 way one ok?

5. Back To Top    #5

Best kit you can get is the TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for the link for the kit also one last question....until this is thru SLAMMING, do I keep changing the filter every hr for these days?? or is slow flow ok??

7. Back To Top    #7

Change the filter as often as needed.

Even though the Intex filters don't do a great job, you can extend their use by following the cleaning instructions in Pool School, linked in the upper right of every page. Those filters can be cleaned several times.

I would suggest buying a couple of Unicel filters, but I see in your opening post you will be upgrading to a sand filter next season. These will work -- sort of -- for the rest of this season.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.