Safe to drain in Summer?

chef06

May 22, 2013
Based on my cya levels and checking around on the forums, I'm pretty sure that my problem is that I need to change out my water. I've been reading that its way too hot here in Vegas to do it during the summer.

Is there anyway of getting my FA up properly and get rid of the algae thats clinging to the walls until the weather cools down? I was using the 5 dichlor pucks in a floater lately but discontinued due to them raising the cya even higher. Dumped 2 gallons of bleach in yesterday and my FA barely budged above 0.

Test Results this morning:

FC 0-0.5
CC 7
PH 7.2
ALK 130
CAL 450
TEMP 88

Thanks for your help!

ps. forgot to mention that water is crystal clear...just some light algae on floor and walls that I have to brush daily to keep up with.

We use the abbreviation FC to refer to free chlorine. If you'll see the chlorine/cya chart in pool school, you'll see the crazy level you'll have to raise your FC to in order to SLAM that pool. You should consider several partail drains and fills in order to still have a pool to use and lowering your CYA.

Drain and fill 1/3 at a time, and retest after the third refill. That would bring it down close to a more manageable level. Yes, it is safe to do this in the summer, as long as you don't leave the level down for too long.

In another thread it was suggested that after the first 1/3 drain/refill, the pool owner might want to drain a second time then use a siphon or pump while filling to keep a constant flow in and out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.