Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to drain in Summer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to drain in Summer?

Based on my cya levels and checking around on the forums, I'm pretty sure that my problem is that I need to change out my water. I've been reading that its way too hot here in Vegas to do it during the summer.

Is there anyway of getting my FA up properly and get rid of the algae thats clinging to the walls until the weather cools down? I was using the 5 dichlor pucks in a floater lately but discontinued due to them raising the cya even higher. Dumped 2 gallons of bleach in yesterday and my FA barely budged above 0.

Test Results this morning:

FC 0-0.5
    CC 7
    PH 7.2
    ALK 130
    CAL 450
    TEMP 88

Thanks for your help!

ps. forgot to mention that water is crystal clear...just some light algae on floor and walls that I have to brush daily to keep up with.
    11,000 gal. Plaster IG
    Sta Rite System 3 Filter
    Sta Rite Maxi Glas2 1.5 hp
    3 intake 1 skimmer Solar heater
    Las Vegas Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safe to drain in Summer?

What are you testing with?

Do you have a CYA reading?
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

sorry about that , I knew I would forget something.

Taylor k-2006

cya 200+
    11,000 gal. Plaster IG
    Sta Rite System 3 Filter
    Las Vegas Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

We use the abbreviation FC to refer to free chlorine. If you'll see the chlorine/cya chart in pool school, you'll see the crazy level you'll have to raise your FC to in order to SLAM that pool. You should consider several partail drains and fills in order to still have a pool to use and lowering your CYA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Drain and fill 1/3 at a time, and retest after the third refill. That would bring it down close to a more manageable level. Yes, it is safe to do this in the summer, as long as you don't leave the level down for too long.

In another thread it was suggested that after the first 1/3 drain/refill, the pool owner might want to drain a second time then use a siphon or pump while filling to keep a constant flow in and out of the pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks gentlemen for the confirmation of what I had assumed. I'll get a grasp of the abbreviations real quick!
    11,000 gal. Plaster IG
    Sta Rite System 3 Filter
    Las Vegas Taylor K-2006