Do I want a 2 speed pump with solar panels?

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
We rely on our solar panels to heat our pool here in Colorado. I need to replace the pump, and found a 1.5hp 2-speed for our 15 x 30 above ground pool . It's a: 1.5 HP 2-Speed 3450/1725 RPM, 115 volts Above Ground Pool Pump - Waterway brand - With large Debri. Everyone says it's very quiet, but I'm wondering if we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by slowing down the water movement through the panels. It's priced at $217.

http://www.amazon.com/2-Speed-volts-Abo ... 91-4518833

We have not had many reports good/bad on the waterway agp 2-peed pumps. Their performance curves are somewhat confusing (they seem to read high compared to similarly speced pumps). Good reviews on the hayward matrix 1 hp 2speed and pentair dynamo 2speeds. I have the hayward and it is very quiet. I also have 6 solar panels run in parallel on my roof. I can run them on low speed (prime them on high then switch to low), but they are more efficient at heating the pool on high.

How many panels do you have, how are they plumbed and where are they located (including height) from the pump?

If you only have the pool open for a short season and are always running solar then you may not need a 2 speed.

Like linen I run on high speed when the solar is on and run on low when it is not. I do not run the solar in the winter or in the heart of summer, so save money on electricity.

Given that the panels are down at pool level, a two speed pump on low speed will work with your panels. And while you won't get quite as much heat out of them on low speed, things should still work out fairly well. The panels aren't that large in total, so the amount of water they need isn't extreme, and I would expect things to be just fine on low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.