Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rinse only DE filter grids ok?

1. Back To Top    #1

Rinse only DE filter grids ok?

Do I "have" to soak my filter grids/cartridge after I hose the cellulose/DE off of them. They certainly aren't bright white anymore, but they have only a faint brown discoloration. This is my second year with the filter, and I haven't soaked them yet. Is that bit of dirt really interfering with anything? I imagine the second i reinstall them, and coat them with the cellulose they will get dirty almost immediately.
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Spring, TX

Re: Rinse only DE filter grids ok?

When I had my DE filter, I just rinsed off the grids and that seem to work for me.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

In eight years, I have only done the full soak routine once. Otherwise I rinse and reassemble. I didn't see much difference even with a soak and acid bath. It's just that after eight years, I felt guilty that I hadn't done the whole routine.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I backwash, open the filter, blast off the residual, backwash a little more, and put it all together. I've only taken my filter all the way apart once, and never soaked the grids. My grids are not gleaming white anymore, but they're not crusty and stiff, either, and the pressure's good and it filters great. I'm of the opinion of don't fix it if it ain't broke.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!