De filter pressure never goes up...

Jun 26, 2012
Jackson, NJ
I figured I'll post a new thread as this is a deep rate issue from my other thread.

My de filter pressure never really goes up from the starting pressure, I took it apart and cleaned it...started it up and loaded with de, pressure was at about 8-9psi and that was a couple weeks ago if not more, the pressure is still the same. What's wrong here?

Depending no the size of your filter it could very well not move at all. If you keep your pool nice and clean and there is not much junk to get out you could be fine. Mine went a year and only moved 2 PSI over the course of a year. All about maintenance. Pending how old your gauge, maybe it is not working correctly. To be sure you could just replace it as they are usually pretty cheap.

Does you gauge go to 0 when the pump is off?

When you clean the grids is there junk on them?

What size and model DE filter do you have?

How much DE do you add after cleaning and how much pressure change do you see?

I have a pentair fns plus 60.
The gauge goes to 0 when pump is off and fluctuates when I switch the jandy valves.
When I cleaned the grids they were really dirty and the whole filter was full of Crud and old DE. last year my pressure would go up every few weeks. This year the pool is super clean and I keep it that way.
I put 6lbs of de after the full cleaning. Haven't back washed after the cleaning yet. I did have that DE back out into the pool initially because I turned the pump off and opened the heater plumbing. I'm pretty sure I got most if not all of it back into the filter though.

If you water is crystal clear, then it sounds like there is nothing wrong. If we assume you pool is 25K, then we would recommend a 75 sq. ft. minimum DE filter (yours is 60)...but a filter that big would probably mean you would only clean it a couple times a season,. When your pressure goes up 25% (so if you started at 8 psi, when the pressure goes to 10 psi), that is the time to clean.

By the way if you want to post a picture and some dimensions, we could maybe get you a better pool volume estimation.

How often were you having to backwash last year?

Maybe you had a low level algae growth (that you didn't know about) last year that doesn't exist this year? Were you getting more organic debris last year?

Regardless, if you water is crystal clear, then the filter is doing its job and you should be in good shape.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your filter pressure never goes up, you are not capturing debris in the filter or your gauge is not working.

Mine doesn't move very much at all when my pool is crystal clear but eventually, I do get some rise.

Some folks who keep a pristine pool can go all swim season and never see enough increase to warrant a backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.