First time pool owner - pool hasn't been clear all season

Jul 14, 2013
Overland Park, KS
I am new to taking care of a pool. It was opened at the beginning of May and it turned a swamp-like, dark green about 5 weeks ago.
I shocked it and ended up killing the algae and after an application of floc and lots of vacuuming, the water is a light, cloudy green. Clarifying agents turn it into a slightly blue but still cloudy hue.

I've stopped using the clarifying agent (pool first aid) and have just been maintaining all my levels and yet the pool still has that green tint to it. I've had my water tested at the pool store, multiple times a week and the levels are within their recommended ranges, but the water still isn't clear. My goal is just to get the water clear and stop hemorrhaging money at the pool store.

I bought the test kit recommended by this site and here are my readings:

FC: 3
CC: 0
pH: 7.5
TA: 110
CYA: 20
CH: 260

I am unsure of where to go from here. Please help. Thank you.

Re: First time pool owner - pool hasn't been clear all seaso

Welcome to TFP!

You've come to the right place.

How do you chlorinate the pool? With low CYA, your chlorine could be dropping very low during the middle of the day, allowing algae to hang on. Adding enough CYA to get your pool to 35ppm will help with that.

To get rid of the green, forget the clarifiers and flocs, and concentrate on chlorine. We use the SLAM method for fighting algae. Read about it at pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You should probably raise your CYA level to the 30-40 range so it will actually hold some chlorine during the SLAM process. See pool school on slamming instructions, and the chlorine/cya chart. Welcome to TFP!

I have been using chlorine tabs and powdered shock to chlorinate the pool.

Should I raise the CYA level to 30-40 range prior to starting the SLAM process? Or is it better to add the required amount of stabilizer to raise the CYA while raising the FC to shock FC levels simultaneously?

I would go ahead and add the additional stabilizer now.....I'd stop at 30 ppm.

Start the slam process just as soon as you get the stabilizer in the pool. Don't worry that it won't show up on the test, just assume it is there.

When you did the CYA test, did the dot completely disappear at 20 ppm?

So, it sounds like you need to
  • 1.turn on pump
    2.add chlorine
    3.hang a sock with CYA in front of the return
    4.read pool school on how to SLAM
    5.test pool for FC
    6. got to step 2, repeat steps 2 to 6 until clear

Day 1:

Added requisite amount of stabilizer to bring up CYA to 30 and began SLAM process by adding bleach to bring up FC to 16 ppm.
Shocking level (per the suggested levels section in the poolcalculator.com) is 12 ppm FC for 30 ppm CYA. I must have misread the chart as I aimed for 16 ppm FC all day today. Readjusting to new target shock FC of 12 ppm from here on out.

Test #1
FC: 15.5

Test #2
FC: 17.0

Test #3
FC: 8.5

Test #4
FC: 13

Test #5
FC: 19

Test #6

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 259

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Day 2:

Adding bleach after each test to bump up FC to 16 ppm. I've been treating the target SLAM rate of 12 ppm as a minimum to stay above at all times during this process.

Test #1

Test #2
FC: 14.5

Test #3

Test #4

Test #5
FC: 15

Test #6
FC: 13.5

Attachments

• IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 226

Day 3:

Just being patient and hoping to turn the corner soon.

Test #1
FC: 16.5

Test #2
FC: 14

Test #3

Test #4
FC: 11

Test #5
FC: 17.5

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 191

Day 4:

Added bleach to achieve 20 ppm FC after each test.

Test #1

Test #2

Test #3
FC: 18

Test #4
FC: 11

Test #5
FC: 23.5

Attachments

• 20130718_194404.jpg
    20130718_194404.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 170

Day 5:

I'm seeing small improvements daily and the pool is looking better, but it's still cloudy.

Test #1
FC: 20

Test #2

Test #3

Test #4
FC: 18

Test #5
FC: 18.5

Attachments

• IMAG0181.jpg
    IMAG0181.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 149

Day 10

Update: OCLT was 2.0 so I'm continuing the SLAM process, but the pool seems to be regressing as far as clarity is concerned.

Test #1
CC: 0.5

Test #2
FC: 13.5

Test #3
FC: 12.5

Test #4
FC: 16

The pool was as clear as it has ever been for the past couple of days. I could easily see the bottom drain in the deep end, but today, there is a slight cloudiness and white film on the water that wasn't there before and while the drain in the deep end is still visible, it's definitely noticeably less clear today.

Is this cause for concern? Do I do anything different in addition to the SLAM process?

Attachments

• IMAG0186.jpg
    IMAG0186.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0189.jpg
    IMAG0189.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 119

You can add a little D.E to your sand filter to help remove smaller particulate from the water. Also are you using just plain bleach/liquid chlorine or did you use outdoor bleach? I ask because the outdoor bleach contains additives that will add cloudiness

You're soooo close.

Just out of curiosity, nobody went in the pool with it looking so nice, did they? Because a load of sunscreen can mess things up. They could also stir up stuff stuck to the walls if you've slacked off any on the brushing.

I'm not doing the SLAM, but if I get in there in a fit of industriousness and really give the pool a serious brushing with the wall whale, things cloud up on me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.