Filter/pump replacement question

munky

Jul 5, 2013
Naylor, Arkansas
So, currently I'm still using the dinky little 1000gph cartridge filter/pump that fame with my pool. I was thinking about upgrading to Intex's 2650gph sand filter/pump, but I have a question about that.

We're planning on upgrading to a "real" AGP next year, probably around 15' x 52" round. That being the case, it doesn't seem worthwhile--or cost efficient--to upgrade now, when we'll just have to get a new pump/filter next year for the new pool.

So, is there anything I can do to improve the effectiveness of the current filter/pump for this season?

The 2650 gph filter would work for a "real" 15X52 as well, though it will require the box adapter discussed in the intex plumbing topics. Thinking outload, a 15' pool is still quite small...not much of an upgrade from what you currently have...so it is likely when it comes down to it, you may go larger? That might be a reason to wait, if you can survive with your current filter.

I have seen a few reports of the Unicel cartridges working quite a bit better than the Intex. And they are reusable. You should be able to find the model number with a quick search.

Caveat about ordering from Amazon or other online places. READ the description, closely. Quite a few sellers are advertising "replaces" or "same as" these quality filters. If in doubt, ask the seller.

Instructions for cleaning in Pool School, and Unicel has instructions packaged with each filter.

I'm still using the first one I bought last season. There are others here that have run them for 3 and 4 seasons, as long as they are cleaned properly.

Very worth the extra money spent on these!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.