Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My (GREEN) cement pond

1. Back To Top    #1

My (GREEN) cement pond

I'm relatively new here, and I've learned so much from this site! I have an unintentionally green cement pond that I'd like to reclaim as a swimming pool. It was built in 2000 and has never been drained, so it has some wise old hardened water in it:

July 13, 8:15 pm
    FC: 0
    CC: 0
    TA: 140
    pH: 8.0
    CYA: 50*
    CH: 1200

My analysis:

The Alkalinity and pH are too high, especially since I have all that calcium in the water. I added acid to bring both of them down. I also did a slight drain and water re-add. The source water is hard, so I'm going to have to mostly manage this through pH control, but I can make slow gains to get it beneath 1000 eventually. Right now, I'm concentrating on pH and chlorine. Let me know if I'm off-track on this.

I'm really relieved about the CYA. I've been paying no attention to it, and I've been using di-chlor and tri-chlor in the pool. So, the only thing I can figure is that something ate the CYA over the winter, and the tablets and haphazard shocking I've done to-date have killed that off so that the CYA in the tablets has re-taken some hold. That's my current theory, anyway, other thoughts welcomed! Also, the reading was somewhere between 40 and 50, and with the visibly murky, green water in the vial causing a little bit of a visibility issue by itself, the test is probably reading a little high.

Assuming CYA of 50, the PoolCalculator indicated a shock level of 16. I added 3 121 oz jugs plain old liquid bleach (8.25%) to reach it. I figure the first 2 days will see enough low FC tests that I can reliably re-check pH. Of course, once the chlorine starts to hold, I won't be able to do that any more.

July 13, 9:15 pm
    CC: 1.0

Added 3 121 oz. jugs of 8.25% bleach.

July 13, 10:15 pm
    FC: 0.5
    CC: 2.0

Added bleach.

July 13, 11:15 pm
    FC: 1.5
    CC: 4.5

Added bleach and called it a night.

July 14, 9:30 am (after buying a LOT more bleach)
    CC: 1.0
    TA: 120
    pH: 7.6
    CYA: somewhere between 40 and 50, not too accurate right now with the green water
    CH: 1075

Added bleach. I think I'm ok with this pH level until the algae is gone--let me know if I should give it a nudge down a little more.

July 14, 10:30 am
    FC: 1.0
    CC: 2.5

Added bleach.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My (GREEN) cement pond

Your chlorine additions will be more effective if you lower it a bit more during the process.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the advice on pH. Still need to add chlorine hourly:

July 14, 11:15 am
    FC: 1.5
    CC: 6.0
    Added bleach

July 14, 12:15 pm
    FC: 2.0
    CC: 5.5
    Added bleach. Added acid with the target to nudge the pH down to ~7.3
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex

4. Back To Top    #4

Update:

I've been checking and adding chlorine every hour. At 5:30, it turned a corner. I had been getting FC of 1.0 or 1.5 and CC of 5.5, 6.0, or 6.5 consistently. Then at 5:30, my FC was 4.0 and CC was 4.0. At 6:30, FC was 5.0 and CC was 4.0.

Also, there has been a definite change in the water color. It has a greyish tint to the green that wasn't there before. I'm excited! It has been a long day, and a lot of bleach (~44 gallons so far); it's nice to see a bit of progress in both test results and water appearance!

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you tested the CH in your tap water? Curious to see how high it is and where you live. I'm in SoCal and I see ~300-400 here. Sounds like your supply water has much higher calcium levels than ours and I thought ours was high.
    15'x35' IG 16,500 gallons w/attached raised 18" spa continuous coping w/underneath spill and ledger stone wrapped, NPT mini pebble aqua blue w/2x pigment & abalone shell finish, 2"x24" travertine coping, 3x Jandy Color LED lights (2 in pool), Jandy Flo Pro 2HP VS pump, Jandy LXI (low NOx) 400K BTU heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG, Jandy Z4 automation with iAqualink and remote poolside PDA, 1,300 sqft Belgard Catalina paver deck with drainage, fire pit that matches the spa with travertine coping and wrapped in ledger stone, Elitewood insulated patio cover, Vinyl gates, back vinyl fence coming soon...
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow. With that much CH and green to boot, I'd seriously consider a full drain and a pressure wash or sandblast.

Where do you live? Is water extremely expensive or something?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I was reading this thinking the same thing.

CH is hard to solve and important in some pools. What is the CH of your source water? Is clean water cheap and easy where you live. It's not in may places so we ask.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

There is no right or wrong answer about CH until you factor in the CH of your fill water.

Other folks have lived with a CH of 1000+ but you will have to maintain tight control of your pH and TA after you finish the SLAM.

Can you post the CH of your fill water?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

We're under water restrictions here. Full drain is not an option. I'll look into the cost of RO once the water clears.

Water is now milky with a green tint. I'm still losing quite a bit of FC--it drops from around 16 to 11 in an hour, so it's getting spent on something in there. It's improving (was dropping to 5 in an hour yesterday), so I continue to be optimistic.

10. Back To Top    #10

Then you need to keep adding the CL... The more time you stay at or above the shock level, the better. You could even aim high since it is consuming it soo quickly.

Good Luck!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

As far as I know, RO is only an option in parts of AZ and CA.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

12. Back To Top    #12

Pretty sure the water needs to be clear for the RO treatment ... they do not want algae clogging up the equipment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, folks!

I flushed out a stream of algae from the spa jets today...YUCK! I'm not sure what made me think of turning them on. That's one source that was hiding before and is now SLAMmed. After that experience, I made sure all the pipes were flushed, and left each with at least a little water flow (well, not the "to waste", but all the rest).

Pool is still milky with a green tint. FC is holding after an hour, now.

14. Back To Top    #14

Milky is good... you are making progress. Keep filtering... keep your FC up.
    -- Guy --

15. Back To Top    #15

Still milky--but the tint is blue now instead of green.

I'm keeping the FC at shock level, and the filter is running 7/24.

16. Back To Top    #16

Even better!
    -- Guy --