Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any suggestions before I break out my Scuba gear?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any suggestions before I break out my Scuba gear?

I have iron stained calcium deposits on the vinyl liner of the pool. They are heaviest on the slope leading to the deep end but also are on the walls of the deep end. The are not covering huge areas but there are a lot of small deposits throughout making it not look bad. I tested the stuff by scraping off a few small pieces and placing them in acid. They foamed and were quickly dissolved. Is there any other way to disolve the scaling besides me getting my dive gear on and spending a couple hrs under water scraping and brushing? Here are todays test results:

FC-5 CC-0 TA-160 pH-7.6 CYA-48

After testing I added 8 cups of bleach and 4 cups of acid to target a pH of 7.4 and a FC of 6.

Thank You. Dave
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Hi, Dave,

If you can get it done in a couple of hours or even 1/2 a day, I think that's your best bet.

Lowering your pH for a L-o-o-o-n-g time may be helpful but probably not worth it if you can clean it up manually.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Do you have a CH reading? High TA and high CH both lead to scaling. You need to lower one or both levels to prevent the same thing from happening again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    CH-240

As mentioned in another of my posts, I lowered the TA from 310-160 in two aeration cycles. I'm trying to keep the pH at the low end of normal from here on out. I did notice that since i lowered the TA I had my first pH increase since I opened the pool in early April (to 7.6) as mentioned before, I added acid this morning after testing to target a pH of 7.4. I may take it down to 7.2 or 7.3 and leave it there.
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.