Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are these?

1. Back To Top    #1

What are these?

I hope this is in the right forum.

Now that I am getting more confident about my pool and how to take care of it, I've gone through the things in the pool shed that came with the pool. I came across 7 of these things that are stacked in the pool shed. I can't figure out what they are for. They were not used for the last pool closing the previous owners did before they moved out and we haven't found a use for them when we opened the pool this year or last year.

They appear to be screw on caps for something with a curved edge. I've looked around but don't see any equipment with a curved edge that these would fit. Before I toss them out, I thought I'd post pictures of them here to see if anyone knows what they are. I'd hate to throw away something I'll need in the future....but after almost two seasons with the pool, I haven't needed them yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What are these?

They look like the clamps from a sta-rite filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Man, good eye linen!

4. Back To Top    #4

Great! Thanks! It even looks like you would need 7 of them on that filter. I bet they were left over from the last filter the previous owners had. Looks like they are going to the metal recycler!
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

The only reason I had an inkling is I have always wondered about that filter design and how it works since they are so different from most other designs.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Great find, Linen.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School