Virginia Beach, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I've been a long time stalker of the forums and first time poster. I just wanted to thank all the members of this forum. Due to the knowledge they shared, I've adopted the BBB and haven't been happier with my pools performance this summer. I admit to being "pool stored" for years after inheriting this pool when my family purchased our house. This year i decided it was time for a change. I got myself a good test kit, hit the local store for my BBB, followed Pool School and now the pool requires less maintenance than it ever has in the 7 years I've owned it. Pool school really helps you understand the interaction between all the chemistry involved in a pool and once you've got it down, you'll facepalm every time you hear the things the pool store recommends. Just the other day I was in there just to buy a replacement net and decided to strike up a conversation about CYA with them mentioning my concern for their continued suggestion to use their 3" tabs. They tell me that CYA isn't that big a deal to worry about, just that you have it and that they've "seen" up to 80-100 ppm of CYA and it's "fine". If i'd followed their "guidance" i'd be well over 120 CYA and then they'd have their claws in me for all their products while we try to battle what happened to my pool.

With that said, I want to personally thank all the members of this board and also if there are skeptics out there, don't be. I made the change and you can too! Read and re-read pool school, grab your BBB, enjoy your pool this season and finally be free of the pool store shackles.

Regards,

Eric

Hah, it sure is. I've actually contemplated going there to battle with them, but i realize it would be like talking with my dogs about BBB. No wait, that's not fair to my dogs :p

Just in that same visit the pool store clerk tell me, "Don't believe the talk about CYA, there's been a chemist that's disproved that, google it". :hammer:

Just for fun I did in fact try to google that but only found information from here or other sources validating that CYA does have a relationship to how much CL you need to add to sanitize. I can only imagine how many other lies are told all day long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.