Not getting any chlorine readings, pool staying clear

May 16, 2013
For the past several days I have been taking FC and CC values using the drop method, and I am showing zero for FC AND CC values. I have all green indicators on my IC40, and have pushed to 100% chlorine output with no change.

The odd thing is the pool continues to stay clear with no sign of algae.

I have thought perhaps my powder for testing values could be bad, so I tried the chlorine test that is in the opposite tube to the pH test, but still showing zero.

What is going on here that I can't get chlorine values?

Thanks!

We will need a full set of test results to properly diagnose. In my mind, there are 2 possibilities. Either your CYA is very low, and the sun is using up all of your chlorine, or, more likely, you have something organic growing in your pool, and you will need to get rid of it by following SLAM, linked to in my signature.

Collect a sample of water from a return and test it. That will give you an indication of whether you are generating chlorine or not.

Sounds like you're walking on a tightrope. If something gives the pool a nudge the wrong way, you're going to suddenly get cloudy and soon thereafter, green.

Collect a sample from the return and see if the SWG is working. If it is, SLAM the pool. If you're early enough, the process could be over in a day.

Sorry for the delayed response, as it will be very apparent what the initial issue was:

I took a reading from the return, and got zero FC. When walking back to the pool, I noticed I had flashing green and red flashing lights on my IC40, and the flow indicator was red.

I shut down the system, unplugged the SWG from the power center and disconnected the SWG to visually inspect. The fins were clean and clear and nothing was obstructing the flow sensor.

I then reinstalled the SWG, turned power on and waiting the 5 minutes to reset. The flow indicator turned green and the flashing went to solid green.

I then tested FC at the return, and viola! we were producing chlorine again.

Here is what my numbers were:

PH 7.5
FC 0
CC 0
Salt 4350
CYA 50
TA 180
CH 140

Could I have a faulty cell?

I'm still going to perform SLAM tonight and keep an eye on the SWG.

The one thing that has been a concern for me is the use of my Intelliflo. During the overnight, I slow the pump down to about 1100, which does significantly lower flow rate, and does trigger the flow light on the SWG. A call to Pentair tech support said that this would be expected and that it is nothing to worry about. When flow goes back up, it will automatically detect the flow rate change and then start producing chlorine again.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with their SWG, and should I call Pentair to start the process of requesting service or parts?

As always, THANK YOU ALL for your continued feedback and support. It means more than you can ever imagine!

One more update...less than 10 minutes later, the red flow light came on and chlorine production stopped once again. I would have to think I have a faulty flow switch, and will be using 8.75% bleach to shock until I can get a new switch installed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cujowoof said:
One more update...less than 10 minutes later, the red flow light came on and chlorine production stopped once again. I would have to think I have a faulty flow switch, and will be using 8.75% bleach to shock until I can get a new switch installed.
Scroll down in this thread to QCJLo. I thought I remembered reading something like this.
red-flow-light-on-intellichlor-ic40-t21340.html

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.