Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not getting any chlorine readings, pool staying clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Not getting any chlorine readings, pool staying clear

For the past several days I have been taking FC and CC values using the drop method, and I am showing zero for FC AND CC values. I have all green indicators on my IC40, and have pushed to 100% chlorine output with no change.

The odd thing is the pool continues to stay clear with no sign of algae.

I have thought perhaps my powder for testing values could be bad, so I tried the chlorine test that is in the opposite tube to the pH test, but still showing zero.

What is going on here that I can't get chlorine values?

Thanks!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not getting any chlorine readings, pool staying clear

Sounds like something is consuming it as fast as it's being produced. You may need to add bleach manually and do an OCLT to confirm.

Can you post a full set of test results?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

We will need a full set of test results to properly diagnose. In my mind, there are 2 possibilities. Either your CYA is very low, and the sun is using up all of your chlorine, or, more likely, you have something organic growing in your pool, and you will need to get rid of it by following SLAM, linked to in my signature.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Or the SWG isn't putting out an chlorine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Collect a sample of water from a return and test it. That will give you an indication of whether you are generating chlorine or not.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej
    Or the SWG isn't putting out any chlorine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you're walking on a tightrope. If something gives the pool a nudge the wrong way, you're going to suddenly get cloudy and soon thereafter, green.

Collect a sample from the return and see if the SWG is working. If it is, SLAM the pool. If you're early enough, the process could be over in a day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I am running tests and will post momentarily. Thanks everyone!
    18x36 IG vinyl, Sta-Rite S8D110 DE Filter, Intelliflo VS +SVRS, IC40 SWG, 2 skimmers & 1 main, 1 1/2" plumbing, 2" at pad, Aquabot Turbo T

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry for the delayed response, as it will be very apparent what the initial issue was:

I took a reading from the return, and got zero FC. When walking back to the pool, I noticed I had flashing green and red flashing lights on my IC40, and the flow indicator was red.

I shut down the system, unplugged the SWG from the power center and disconnected the SWG to visually inspect. The fins were clean and clear and nothing was obstructing the flow sensor.

I then reinstalled the SWG, turned power on and waiting the 5 minutes to reset. The flow indicator turned green and the flashing went to solid green.

I then tested FC at the return, and viola! we were producing chlorine again.

Here is what my numbers were:

PH 7.5
    FC 0
    CC 0
    Salt 4350
    CYA 50
    TA 180
    CH 140

Could I have a faulty cell?

I'm still going to perform SLAM tonight and keep an eye on the SWG.

The one thing that has been a concern for me is the use of my Intelliflo. During the overnight, I slow the pump down to about 1100, which does significantly lower flow rate, and does trigger the flow light on the SWG. A call to Pentair tech support said that this would be expected and that it is nothing to worry about. When flow goes back up, it will automatically detect the flow rate change and then start producing chlorine again.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with their SWG, and should I call Pentair to start the process of requesting service or parts?

As always, THANK YOU ALL for your continued feedback and support. It means more than you can ever imagine!

10. Back To Top    #10

One more update...less than 10 minutes later, the red flow light came on and chlorine production stopped once again. I would have to think I have a faulty flow switch, and will be using 8.75% bleach to shock until I can get a new switch installed.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by cujowoof
    One more update...less than 10 minutes later, the red flow light came on and chlorine production stopped once again. I would have to think I have a faulty flow switch, and will be using 8.75% bleach to shock until I can get a new switch installed.
    Scroll down in this thread to QCJLo. I thought I remembered reading something like this.
    red-flow-light-on-intellichlor-ic40-t21340.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!